Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme mounted horizontally?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme mounted horizontally?

Post by bumthology » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:24 am

Anyone have their TRUE mounted so that you can put the fan blowing upwards?
reason i ask is because i have a noctua NB cooler, and i can kill two birds with 1 stone this way.
Can i block the rear fanhole and just use the top as an exhaust?
Or is it not so effective?

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:06 pm

I have a horisontal TRUE and exhaust top of case. Mobo is "up-side down in my case - Lian li v1000 - though. So the hot GFX card (8800GTS with HR03) is in the top of the case.

My TRUE is running passive and the idea is that the hot air goes up in the case and gets exhausted (through the side) at the top. The PSU in in a seperate compartment in the V1000.

I put the TRUE horisontally because I figured it would be best to have the largest possible surface pointing upwards since the heat was (and is) supposed to dissapate that way.

My original plan was also to have a fan on the TRUE to help blow the air upwards. But it turned out not be necesarry. Speedfan reports both cores on my E6600 to 32 degrees celcius after gaming sessions.

I don't have any good temperature comparisons to a vertically installed TRUE unfortunately. Wether it is the best way to go very much depends on the rest of your setup and mobo orientation I would imagine.

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Post by bumthology » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Cheers for that!
Theres so much positive talk about the TRUE,
i can only manage 33 degrees on my Q6600 @ stock 2.4ghz