Noctura NH-U12P for AM2+ - I am confused

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Michael Sandstrom

Noctura NH-U12P for AM2+ - I am confused

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sat May 08, 2010 3:16 pm

I am considering the NH-U12P for a known compatible AM2+ board in an Antec Solo. The SPCR review states "An alternate set of U-shaped wings is provided which attach parallel to the heatpipes, giving the NH-U12P the ability to mount in any orientation in an AMD-based system".

Noctura's installation PDF fails to address any AMD installation method other than one which would result in hot air blowing toward my PSU.

Please respond if you can clarify AMD installation issues.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 pm

The SPCR review is correct because it is referring to the original Noctua SecuFirm mounting for AMD which allowed dual orientation. SecuFirm was later updated, partly to take account of the new Intel sockets LGA1156 and LGA1366, but there were also changes to the mount itself. It became SecuFirm2 and somewhere along the way the AMD mount became single orientation only. If you can find one, the original SecuFirm will fit current Noctua products, but in practice it may be a case of finding a used NH-U12P complete with all the SecuFirm mount fittings.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun May 09, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks lodestar. You prevented me from wasting money on a useless product. I think Mike Chin should update his review.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Sun May 09, 2010 2:28 am

Not so quick. They started providin 90° AM2 kit again :
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... =36&lng=en

Of course you need to have "SE2" versions of coolers.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun May 09, 2010 2:51 am

Thanks for the clarification, faugusztin. I ordered the HS and emailed Noctua the order for the optional part. The Noctura email required attached jpg copies of invoices for both the cooler and either an AMD processor or motherboard before they will ship. There was no requirement to stand on my head while juggling chainsaws. The shipping reportedly takes two weeks.

Shai-tan

Post by Shai-tan » Wed May 12, 2010 12:26 am

I live in New Zealand and when I got my 90° kit it only took maybe a week to arrive, after customs had opened it and everything :P Must've been checking for drugs.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 pm

A week to NZ is pretty darn quick. Maybe mine will arive as fast.

Re the customs guys--If you had to spend all day, week after week, year after year, pawing through the dirty underware of the great unwashed masses you might be looking for drugs as well!