Question(s) about the Zalman CNPS7000A-ALCU

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Arctic Ceramique or Arctic Silver 5 for my P4?

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:11 am

Lilla wrote:Arctic Ceramique (ASC) or Arctic Silver 5 (AS5) for my P4?

I a read a thread on this and I remember Ralf saying at this point it was a close call, and that he would perhaps lean towards the ASC over AS5 at this point.

I'm leaning towards ASC unless someone says otherwise in the next few minutes as it is part of my SVC.com order which I am entering now.

Thanks, Lilla
I'd still go with Ceramique.

AS5 is still new, not a lot of "field experience" reported yet, except that it's got a "peanut butter" consistancy and is fairly hard to spread and clean up. Assuming the claims are true and AS5 gives you a few degrees more cooling, I still see no reason to use it unless those few more degrees are more important than the ease of use of the Ceramique.

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:26 am

Ralf, thanks for confirming. I ordered the AS Ceramique, along with other stuff from SVC.com yesterday. Everything has been ordered now except a couple of inconsequential parts.

Lilla

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:07 am

Did you give AS5 the recommended 200 hr break in period? Including thermal cycling?

Personally, I'd rather have the extra cooling capability. Unless you change your heatsink every week ;)

I have a tube of AS5 on the way. Should have it by Thursday.

peerke

Post by peerke » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:30 am

I'm still trying to find out if the 7000A-AlCu or Cu would fit the Abit NF7-S vs.2. Did anyone try?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:41 pm

Sledge wrote:Did you give AS5 the recommended 200 hr break in period? Including thermal cycling?

Personally, I'd rather have the extra cooling capability. Unless you change your heatsink every week ;)
Note my post above:
AS5 is still new, not a lot of "field experience" reported yet
Any time a new thermal compound comes out people start raving about how it's the hottest thing since sliced bread, etc. "Lowers temps to absolute zero, blah, blah...". But until enough people start using it there's not much to go on but hype and a couple of reviews. Hence my caveat.

AS5 may well be the best TIM ever, but it's only been out for 2 weeks so there's not much data out there yet. Ceramique, on the other hand is a proven product. It works well, and is safe and easy to use. That's probably even more important to someone who's never used a TIM before.

Choy

Post by Choy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:21 pm

peerke: Yes it does fit the NF7 >=1.2. But with some slight modifications. http://board.member.cgiserver.net/Crazy ... ackdepth=3

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:15 pm

peerke wrote:I'm still trying to find out if the 7000A-AlCu or Cu would fit the Abit NF7-S vs.2. Did anyone try?
In my next system i've decided on the 7000a-alcu, and i originally wanted the nf7-s 2 as well but i didn't want to have to modify the heatsink. and I didn't want to have to cut off the outer hole because i plan to have this heatsink handy for my next next system which will be athlon64-based.

also, the cpu socket on the nf7-s is very close to the top edge of the motherboard, so you will need to check if your case's structure causes the 7000a-alcu to intrude into the space required by your psu.

i've decided to get the asus a7n8x deluxe, and even though it's more expensive, it solves both the above problems and i won't have to worry about wasting AUD50 on a cooler I don't have room for.

netgo

Post by netgo » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:42 pm

I have Abit NF7-S rev2 motherboard and bought 7000a-alcu. My plan is to modify this cooler like pevious post.

I bought chip-set cooler NB-72 as well. It is too high with 7000a-alcu. So I cut some pins using nipper.

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:05 pm

netgo: once it's mounted, can you take a picture showing how close the mounting bracket comes to the capacitors? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:42 pm

chylld, if you follow the link given by Choy it ends with a link to some pictures. Here.
Seb

peerke

Post by peerke » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:19 pm

Choy wrote:peerke: Yes it does fit the NF7 >=1.2. But with some slight modifications. http://board.member.cgiserver.net/Crazy ... ackdepth=3
Thanks Choy. That's exactly the info I needed.
I'd been searching the web for the past week for an alternative Mobo/HSF combo but they all felt like a bloody compromise :evil: and I don't do compromising very well :twisted: .
Than I realised I hadn't received a Reply Notification for a week (turned out my girlfriend cleaned the computer from cookies etc.). Finding this info is a great relief :D .
It's exactly what I expected that needed to be done to make it fit but because this is the first computer I will be building myself I wanted to be sure before buying the components
I can now start my underclocking/undervolting silent computer project. Must be quick to find an older (pre week 39) Barton that is unlocked though.

netgo

Post by netgo » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:52 pm

chylld wrote:netgo: once it's mounted, can you take a picture showing how close the mounting bracket comes to the capacitors? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I've uploaded pic on another thread. Zalman and NF7-S 2.0

Dingus

Post by Dingus » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:00 pm

I just bought Zalman's CNPS 7000A-Cu hsf and while it's extremely heavy, it works a treat. Since I don't have air-conditioning and live in Australia I was fearing this xmas (last year I couldn't turn my AthlonXP 1400+ on for a month or so around xmas... it would just overheat)

Anyway, something I'd like to point out about the 7000A hsf is that it comes with all the nut'n'bolts required to mount socket 462, 478 and 754 processors. While it's sort of stated on zalman's website, I wasn't sure if I'd just get the parts for my respective CPU. Now I don't fear the inevitable upgrade quite so much.