Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu or Nexus AXP-3200 SkiveTek ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Psyko

Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu or Nexus AXP-3200 SkiveTek ?

Post by Psyko » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new into silent computing and currently have an AMD Athlon XP 1000... my regular CPU fan is quite noisy as well as my case. I'm planning to change my case for a Nexus Breeze (http://www.nexustek.nl/breeze.htm) but before investing money in it, I want to change my CPU fan. I heard lots of good things about Zalman fans but the Nexus one seems interesting also. I'm planning to keep my CPU for a while and if I upgrade it I'll go with another AMD Athlon XP (2800 - 3200) so I would keep the fan.

Anyone tried the Nexus AXP-3200 SkiveTek? Do you think the Zalman is quieter? They both have good and comparable specs.

Thanks for your help.

Links:

Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu: http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/vi ... ode=005009

Nexus AXP-3200 SkiveTek: http://www.nexustek.nl/axp3200.htm

NeilBlanchard

Welcome to SPCR!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:04 pm

Hello:

Welcome to SPCR!

All else being equal (like you can fit the Zalman on your motherboard), then I think it is no-contest: the Zalman is the better HS by far! The Nexus uses a 70mm fan, and the fins are very tightly spaced, so it takes a high velocity fan to make it work (read: noisy). The Zalman has a 92mm fan and the fins are quite wide apart and it can work fine at near-passive fan speeds, depending on the case air flow and temps.

If you cannot fit the Zalman (either your don't have the holes through the motherboard, or you have clearance problems with something on the motherboard or in the case), then there are several other HS that take 80mm fans that cool very well: Thermalright, Alpha, Swiftech, Speeze -- I'm sure that there are others.

T. Random

Post by T. Random » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:53 am

I have the Nexus and I don't think the it can be called noisy by any definition. It has a good quality fan with a max speed of 2500rpm, and is reasonably quiet at that speed. The fan reacts well to fan control both through voltage or through PWM. I have the fan running at 1500rmp and it is essentially silent at that speed. I actually bought the Nexus as a stopgap measure (the Zalman didn't fit and Thermalrights were out of stock) and contemplated getting the Thermalright later, but I find now little reason to do that.

There is no doubt that the Zalman has better cooling/noise ratio, but it is more expensive, has limited compatibility, and is often an overkill. If you have modest cooling needs (say <= XP2800, reasonable case cooling and no overclocking), the undervolted Nexus will keep the proc well within specs very quietly. The Zahlman at low speed would keep the proc quite a bit cooler while making roughly as much noise.

If you have a compatible motherboard and plan to overclock, or just think it is intrinsicly desirable to have your CPU at 45C rather than 55C, then go for the Zalman. If instead you want to pay somewhat less, don't overclock, and are content with keeping the CPU running safely within specs, the Nexus is a fine choice.

Psyko

Post by Psyko » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:15 am

Hi guys,

Neil, thanks for the hint, I didn't think of measuring the space I have available on my board around the CPU socket... it's true the Zalman is wider... I have an Asus A7V and am planning to upgrade to an A7N8X so I think the Zalman should fit...

T, everybody seems to adore the Zalman but as per the specs, it's true that both fans emit about the same amount of noise... And no I don't overclock. Currently I have an Athlon 1000 and I'll soon upgrade to something like a 2800, 3000 or maybe 3200. As per the price, the Zalman is about $20 - $25 CAD more expensive than the Nexus, which isn't that bad... but I just learned my wholesaler is a Zalman authorized distributor so I could probably pay less or about the same price as a Nexus.

Thanks for the advice guys, I apprecitate.