Thermalright SLK800

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:50 am

MikeC wrote:
Loudest thing in this box now is the TruePower PSU. Time to get a Nexus, I suppose.
Why not try a single Panaflo swap first? Run just that fan. The fan circuit is already in the TP...
Huh? More details please. Remove which fan, replace which fan with which Panaflo (L1A, M1A?). How will I know if the modded PSU isn't getting too hot?By "fan circut" do you mean the thermally-controlled circut?

gksam

Post by gksam » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:25 am

Yes, I am getting doubtful of that too. But as long as it is not louder, then I should be better off as I would definately go for a single platter drive. Does the number of heads make a difference in noise as well? (i.e. if both sides of platter are being used as opposed to one side).

Disk space isn't really of concern to me as I just use my network drives.. I just need about 20-30gigs in this machine :)
MikeC wrote:
The bulk of the noise from my system is my Seagate Barracuda IV 80gig. I am tempted to buy a Cuda V since I hear they are quieter
I doubt it. Seagate says no. They do sound power measurements. Why would you doubt them? If you want quieter go for a single platter version. I think the B-V 80 is a single platter.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:47 am

Assuming you have a 2-fan Antec TP, and it has no coil whine, it's a decent PSU, with separate lines for the 3 main voltages. That's actually better than a Nexus, which has a shared 3.3 and 5V line. (They are not independent)

Either the 80mm or the 92mm fan can be replaced, and the remaining fan removed. If you remove the 92mm, you my want to consider blocking the hole so the intake air is forced across the lenth of the PSU HS, although with the small intake vents on that side, you may see a bit higher turbulence of reduced airflow...

The control circuit feeds the fan an exponential curve as internal temp rises. If by changing the fan you drop the airflow from say 20 cfm minimum to 12 cfm, then the temp will rise a bit quicker under load and the voltage to the fan will also rise a bit quicker. Under normal loads I would guess that your lower cfm fan will vary 5~8V, but assuing you have something close to a Panaflo L, it will always be considerably quieter than the original, especially as you will have only one fan. You will have an idea of how much the lower speed fan will speed up by noting how much it speeds up with the stock fans now: do those stock Antec fans rise above the detault 5V? How often? Easy to tell by monitoring the fan only output voltage.

The heat will rise more in the PSU -- maybe to as high or higher than would be the case in the Nexus. Keep in mind that MOST if not all quiet PSUs with low fan speed at idle/mid power have a bit higher temps. The idea is to use the temp headroom that's available under such conditions. Like let's say VR transitors in the PSU can work at 5-90C. At idle in the typical PSU, maybe they run at 40C. Reduce airflow at idle and they go to 50C. So what? Far from max. Now when the PSU is pushed to the top, maybe the part will reach closer to 90C faster than with higher airflow fans.

Does it matter? Maybe in the long run (how long will the PSU last), but unlikely in the short unless you pin the PSU at max for long periods (10 minutes+), which in my PSU testing/measuring experience, is very tough to do in non-lab conditions. Almost impossible.

Anyway, lots of people have successfully replaced one of those fans with a quieter one, and removed the other. No question it is quieter than before -- and cheaper than buying new. But if you don't want the hassles, go ahead and buy a quieter PSU, sponsors and advertisers will be happier. :wink:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:37 pm

MikeC - Thanks for all the info. Just the kind of input I was looking for. What if I changed out both stock fans for Panaflos? Yes, more noise than just one fan, but less than the two stock fans and cooler than just one fan....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:57 pm

Try it if you're willing to risk loss of warranty, etc, blah blah blah warnings about everything you do being your responsibility and nothing being mine... :wink:

gksam

Post by gksam » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:45 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:I just got an SLK-800 to put on my Tualeron rig.

I put on the SLK-800 + ASIII with an 80mm Adda 26CFM, 22dB fan. Temps at idle dropped 2-3C for MoBo and CPU. Load temps for the MoBo dropped 3-4C, for the CPU they dropped 9C. Noise level remained the same.
Hi Ralf,

I forgot to ask you. What do you use to measure your temps on your TUSL2-C? Do you use ASUS Probe? Or do you use MBM? I notice MBM gives me 8oC or so lower than ASUS Probe .. hmm..

Cheers

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:30 am

i have both asus probe v2.18.07 (wonder how they figured that out :wink: ) and mbm5.

both reports EXACTLY same temperature, even as the temp increases or decreases...

my motherboard is cusl2.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:03 pm

gksam wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:I just got an SLK-800 to put on my Tualeron rig.

I put on the SLK-800 + ASIII with an 80mm Adda 26CFM, 22dB fan. Temps at idle dropped 2-3C for MoBo and CPU. Load temps for the MoBo dropped 3-4C, for the CPU they dropped 9C. Noise level remained the same.
Hi Ralf,

I forgot to ask you. What do you use to measure your temps on your TUSL2-C? Do you use ASUS Probe? Or do you use MBM? I notice MBM gives me 8oC or so lower than ASUS Probe .. hmm..

Cheers
I use MBM5 but I've double-checked it with Asus Probe and the temps are virtually the same in both apps. BIOS temps are right in the ballpark as well.