quiet duct kit?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nowayjose

quiet duct kit?

Post by nowayjose » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:33 am

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/ovcokitsi.html

just stumbled upon this and was wondering what every1 thought of it. maybe coupled with some really quite 80mm fans... the coil looks like it would be rattling and making lots of noise though. share any thoughts or experiences plz!

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:03 pm

I bought this one way back and I can tell you it is bad.
The quality of those circular fasteners in the right of the picture is !@#$%$. So bad I've thrown them away and used duct tape. The diameter of the tube is to low (~65mm) and the ribbles in the tube are bad for airflow.

nowayjose

Post by nowayjose » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:26 pm

thanx a million for saving me some money and confirming my thoughts on this thing. Sorry u had to take the fall to let me know its bad.

gbass01

Post by gbass01 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:36 pm

I used 4 inch drier duct and glued it to modified fan frames. Good exhaust flow if you take your time to set it up right.

gbass01

4 inch wide CPU exhaust duct

Post by gbass01 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:38 pm

Yep, clothes dryer flexible duct. You will need two 120mm by 25mm fan frames on either side of the duct, attached with "goop" type glue to make duct terminators. Use the minimum length of duct possible to avoid coil bunching which will increase resistance. You will also need an Alpha heatsink and a case with a 120 mm exhaust hole. You will need to mount the exhaust fan on the outside of the case to give the duct more room to turn. Use gaskets to prevent air leaks. Your mobo's CPU socket has to be far enough from the exhaust opening to allow for the turn and any vertical mismatch. The duct has a very narrow turn radius, but it's still 4 inches wide. Mating the Alpha's aluminum shroud to the opening of the CPU-side fan frame will require a gasketed adapter. I used a 120mm aluminum square with a central opening that matched the hole in the Alpha's shroud. Used the screw holes intended for Alpha's fan mount screws to attach adapter to shroud, then foam rubber gasket, then bolted the adapter to the mounting holes of the inner duct terminator (120x25mm fan frame). The inner duct terminator must be clear of all mobo components (should not be an issue on most boards, since it sits on top of the Alpha, which is decently tall).

Lots of work, but it's cool and silent, and you get to join the very exclusive "I have a DRYER DUCT inside my computer" club.