Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Orientation

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shuriken

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Orientation

Post by Shuriken » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:32 pm

Today i got my new pc stuff including an Arctic Freezer 64. I went about installing it using the provided installation instructions.

However one thing was unclear to me. In the instruction they point out you will have to allign the cooler to the back or top.
(See point 4 in the instructions
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downloads ... ezer64.pdf )

Now i have a case which has the same inerds as the SilverStone TJ-06 (with the big wind tunnel). So obviously i need to point it to the back.

However i cannot find out how to do this. It is not described in the instructions. I had a long hard look at it and quite frankly it seems to be impossible to mount it any otherway then facing the top.

Anyone else had any trouble with this? or may enlighten me how to change it facing the back?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:53 pm

Whether the airflow through the AC Freezer 64 is directed front-back or bottom-top is directed by the design of the motherboard. The only thing you can do about that, is watching which motherboard you buy.

With the statement "allign the cooler to the back or top" they mean you should never let it blow down or to the front. It doesn't indicate a 90° rotation ability, because this cooler doesn't have that.

With the wind tunnel in the TJ-06, I would try to run it without the fan. That possibility is what makes this design so interesting.

ilh

Post by ilh » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:18 pm

Tibors wrote:With the wind tunnel in the TJ-06, I would try to run it without the fan. That possibility is what makes this design so interesting.
Except for the fact that his heat sink is aligned perpendicular to the flow through the tunnel. Bad luck.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:30 pm

That just means it would have worked better if the was turned 90°, not that it won't work at all now. If you look at the temps I posted in the thread from the review, there is a lot of headroom to use this cooler in sub optimal conditions.

Another point I noticed is that a lot of air the fan blows between the fins doesn't go straight through but comes out the sides. When the fan is blowing at a 90° angle to the flow direction of the tunnel, you would make a mess of the airflow pattern.

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:06 pm

Thnx for the replies. I tried running without a fan and that worked quite well.

But that is without the tunnnel. The problem with the tunnel is that it won't fit at the moment. I have a passive 6600GT from Gigabyte sitting to close to the fan of the Freezer 64.

I will try to remove the fan which shouldnt be too hard. Then i can test the tunnel and stress test the system a bit.