moving around and scared of the weight

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

liz

moving around and scared of the weight

Post by liz » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:06 am

HI, my computer travels about 100 miles 8 to 10 times a year.

I was thinking of getting the Thermalright SLK-800 but I am scared that this much weight could cause damage with all the moving around, what could you recomend would be safest and still quiet/good for me.
would the way the swiftech bolts to the MB be a good idea

cheers

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:28 am

Theres also an Alpha 8045 you could look at which is cheaper than the Swifty. Found a review of the Thermalright here at [H]ardOCP. They compare it to the Alpha and Swiftech. Inparticular, read this bit on the thrid page which talks about weight and mounting mechanisms etc...

'The clipping mechanism is much different on the SLK-800 compared to the 8045 and the MC462. While both the Alpha
and the Swifty require mounting through the PCB, the SLK-800 uses a more traditional spring clip that can be simply
snapped on and off with a screwdriver. The clip does however utilize a full six cleat anchor that should do a good job at
keeping the heatsink in place even during case movement. Also, the six cleat clip will allow you to install the SLK-800 on a
Socket A than might have been damaged by one of the cleats being torn off. This spring clip allow you to install and
remove the unit without having to remove the mainboard as with the other two heatsinks. This can be viewed as a plus or a
minus depending on your situation. If you move your system around a lot, such as to and from LANs, you might be more
comfortable knowing your HSF is screwed to the mainboard and not coming off or getting shifted even with rough
handling. The clip shown in our pictures is a prototype and the one you'll most likely be see on the retail product will be
chromed instead of the flat black shown.

The weight of these units is important to some people and this goes right along with the clipping systems. The Alpha and
the Swifty almost require a through-the-PCB mounting system as they are extremely heavy. The PAL 8045 comes in at 520
grams while the MC462 weighs in an a hefty 560 grams. Our SLK-800 weighs the least at 505 grams. This still isn't light by
any stretch, but it is light enough that the clipping system seems very sufficient to hold its mass in place.'

Queue

Post by Queue » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:45 am

To be safe, I went with the swifty. I would've looked into the Alpha, but there was a contention with one of the caps on my MOBO (ECS K7S5A).

The swifty is a bit of a beeotch to install, but you definitely feel confident that it is in place, and going to stay that way.

Queue