Dust protection spray?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

feeras

Dust protection spray?

Post by feeras » Sun May 29, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi all,

I have a Zalman 7700Cu HSF and recently I cleaned it. There was quite a bit of dust on it and it added noise and heat to the CPU. So it got me thinking, are there any sprays about that can make the heatsink and fan to be dust free? I'm guessing there must be a spray out there that can do it... but the only worry is that the heatsink may not work effectively with a coating of this stuff? I figured a spray on the fan might be useful because it's only blowing the hot air out?

Let me know if I am insane :)

Cheers,
feeras

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sun May 29, 2005 11:33 pm

I'm not aware of any such product that would work. Fit filters to your intakes, that'll hopefully reduce the dust in your whole case, not just the CPU HSF.
Alternatively, just open it up and blow the dust out with compressed air every few months.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon May 30, 2005 5:48 am

Here's a recent thread from Ars that addresses this same topic. It's fairly amusing, and at the end of the thread there's a post that mentions a product available at Home Depot that claims to keep dust from sticking to ceiling fans.

feeras

Post by feeras » Mon May 30, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks Ralf.

One of the suggestion from that thread was to wear a rubber catsuit whilst operating... that was funny. Might attract more then just dust :)

feeras