Using CNPS7000B-Cu without Fanmate 2?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BaBaBooey

Using CNPS7000B-Cu without Fanmate 2?

Post by BaBaBooey » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:21 pm

Has anyone used the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu without the included fanmate2? My computer room has wacky temperatures and I game a lot. My first priority is to keep the CPU temps cool but when the system is idle I want it quiet. I really don't want to drape the fanmate outside the case either.

If I connect the fan directly to the CPU fan header on the mobo, will it scale the power according to load/temp? I would think it would be quieter than the stock fan I'm using on my P4 right now (getting A64 soon).

Thanks in advance for your help!

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Using CNPS7000B-Cu without Fanmate 2?

Post by ultraboy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:52 pm

BaBaBooey wrote:...If I connect the fan directly to the CPU fan header on the mobo, will it scale the power according to load/temp?..
The fan in CNPS 7000B-Cu is not a thermal control fan. Without Fanmate 2 it will just goes full speed at 12 v. However, if your MB has a fan control function, for instance Asus has Q-Fan function, you might be able to do so...to a certain extent. You can also use Speedfan program to do that.

My preferred option would have been connecting CNPS 7000B-Cu with Fanmate 2, route the Fanmate 2 so that the control unit is outside at the back of case and use double side tape to stick it there. Play with it a few days to see whether you're happy with noise/temp at various settings. Later you can also use Speedfan in addition to fanmate 2.

Have fun. :D

Tom M

Re: Using CNPS7000B-Cu without Fanmate 2?

Post by Tom M » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:26 pm

BaBaBooey wrote:Has anyone used the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu without the included fanmate2?
I started out using my Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu with the Fanmate2 controller. After a couple of days I switched over to Speedfan and I'm quite happy. So long as your mobo provides the support necessary for reading the temperature and controlling the fan you shouldn't have any problems. All I had to do was determine what the lowest setting was for the fan to keep running (30% in my case). Now, when the system is idle or lightly used the cpu fan can barely be heard.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:47 am

Yes, I've used a 7000B-Cu connected directly to the motherboard header on my sig system. It works fine with Abit's FanEQ enabled for the CPU in the BIOS (does not require uGuru), which varies fan voltage from 8V to 12V depending on the CPU temperature. The temperature range is specified by the user in BIOS.

Interestingly, the FanEQ still varies fan speed through a Fanmate 2 if the FM is turned up to maximum, just drops the voltages by about 1V. At lower FM settings, the fan speed is constant.

The 7000B noise will considerably reduced with a slower, quieter and isolated 92mm fan instead of the Zalman.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:01 pm

Yes I have used a 7000 cu without the fan controller but for a different reason.
It would not keep a 3.4 northwood below 65c with the controller on with normal (albeit heavy) use in the Australian summer-so I needed the extra flow at load . at idle it keeps the CPU as cool as the best of the heatpipe Thermalrights but under load it is struggling to cool the CPU ---- Thermo fan anybody?