CPU Cooler for XP 2000+

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pinkchry

CPU Cooler for XP 2000+

Post by pinkchry » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:45 pm

After finding this site, I decided that I can probably get an AMD cpu after all :-)

I currently have a Volcano 7+, which at the lowest setting makes a bearable amount of noise. My cpu temps are 42C idle and 54C running CPUBurn. Ambient temperature is probably around 28-30C

I was wondering if, instead I could get an SK-7 and attach either an L1a or a Zalman ZM-F1. I like the fact that I can increase fan speed temporarily on the Zalman. Would these combinations be enough to cool my cpu?

I also have a 400W Antec SmartPower PS which also makes some noise. Wish I had bought a TruePower instead, but I think I can live with that for now.

Thanks

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:52 am

Volcano 7+'s are LOUD suckers. I recommend the SK-7 or the SLK800 with a reduced speed fan from the recommeded fan list using your Zalman fan controller. Both heatsinks take 80mm fans BTW.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =63&page=1

pinkchry

Post by pinkchry » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:52 am

I think I'll get an SK-7 with a panaflow.

How about the Arctic Super Silent Pro. Can I expect about an 10C rise in temp with using that versus the SK-7/panaflow combination?

Thanks

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:28 pm

pinkchry wrote: How about the Arctic Super Silent Pro.
Do you have a link to it?

pinkchry

Post by pinkchry » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:50 pm

it's here http://www.svcompucycle.com/arcoolsupsil.html

I think there's a review of it on this web site too.

I bit the bullet and bought it. I'll attach it tonight and report the results.

pinkchry

Post by pinkchry » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:10 pm

I should say I'm pleasantly surprised! Temp's are in line with Mike's review. Noise is equal to that of my power supply. Not noiseless but I can live with this.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:06 pm

pinkchry - maybe this is a bit late, but...

the Volcano 7+ is actually a nice chunk of copper. The stock fan certainly makes a lot of noise but why did you not try another fan? I suspect this HS has excellent cooling power. The main issue, to me, is whether the fins are spaced too close together for effective low airflow cooling. If you have another quiet fan to try, I would try it. The thing takes a 70mm fan, which is an odd size, but no reason why you couldn't jury-rig something temporarily anyway.

pinkchry

Post by pinkchry » Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:00 am

Actually I was toying with buying an SK-7 and a panaflo. However, this turnkey solution was cheaper, and made less noise than I expected. However I think right now my PS is overpowering the fan.

Whoa! I can hear things again in my bedroom!