Thermalright SK6 and a Panaflo 80mm, surprise surprise

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

randyharris

Thermalright SK6 and a Panaflo 80mm, surprise surprise

Post by randyharris » Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:40 am

In the past I've tested with fan's on the heatsink both blowing in and blowing out, and I'd always got better results blowing towards the heatsink.

I have an 80mm Panaflo on my SK6 (works ok if you tweak the retainer wires). It has been blowing in since I've had it set up, for some reason I thought I'd try it blowing out, sucking air from the heatsink, and surprise surprise I get 3 degrees Celsius cooler operating temp.

Maybe its because this is a very large fan for this heatsink, or maybe its more common that I had thought.

You might try swtiching your fans and see if you get better results the other way.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:49 pm

Yup, good tip randy. I haven't tried sucking for my new swifty:) My old 8045 was better blowing, but my 6035 was better sucking. Also, results may change depending on fan speed, the silent crowd with slow fans MAY see better temps sucking? Who knows. Anyone else share their blow/suck comparisons?

-Ken

randyharris

Post by randyharris » Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:41 pm

I should have mentioned that the Panaflo 80mm is running at 7volts.

NeilBlanchard

Thermalrights don't seem that they would work w/ sucking fan

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:04 am

Hello:

Given that most Thermalright heatsinks are rectangular as far as the top where the fan attaches, and how an 80mm fan overhangs them, I would have to guess that a fan blowing up would not not work well. However, with one of those 60mm to 80mm adaptors, they might work better this way. Can anybody give this a try? This might increase static pressure, but it might also have a sorta' venturi effect. And certainly all of the air flow would pass through the fins, where it can do some good, rather than just blowing past the heatsink!