Resistor Concerns

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheMuffinMan

Resistor Concerns

Post by TheMuffinMan » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:42 pm

Here's a pic with the problem resistor highlighted

Do you think this will be a problem for many heatsinks? It comes within the measurements for the Swiftec MCX462+, and the AX7...the SLK 800 is OK, but A) I don't want to spend that much on a heatsink, and B) I have a serious problem with putting close to 2 pounds on that tiny plastic socket. Has anyone tried out the SLK 600? It's smaller, and a bit lighter.

The SK7 looks cool, and it will fit...nice.

aaronspink

Re: Resistor Concerns

Post by aaronspink » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:22 pm

TheMuffinMan wrote:Here's a pic with the problem resistor highlighted

Do you think this will be a problem for many heatsinks? It comes within the measurements for the Swiftec MCX462+, and the AX7...the SLK 800 is OK, but A) I don't want to spend that much on a heatsink, and B) I have a serious problem with putting close to 2 pounds on that tiny plastic socket. Has anyone tried out the SLK 600? It's smaller, and a bit lighter.

The SK7 looks cool, and it will fit...nice.
I'm running with the slk800 and I first I was a little worried. After actually attaching the heatsink to the socket, the only thing I'd be worried about would be the socket physically coming off the board. The 3 clip attach of the 800 is incredibly strong. I would highly recommend putting something below the clip when you attach it in case the screw driver slips, it takes a LOT of pressure.

And if you are willing to buy the sk7 then I would seriously look at the slk-800. It generally costs $8-10 more but enables you to use 80mm fans which are generally much more quiet.

aaron