Noiseless CPU cooler -- anyone read German?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

Here's Englishish from Google...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:35 am

Hey BTG:

Here's what you get with the Google translator; Engishish:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

This one will work, as well:

http://tinyurl.com/403x

You can click on the TOC on the left to get the rest of the article, it all gets translated into Englishish on the fly...

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:55 am

Kewl (as opposed to cool?) I was wondering when someone would offer a consumer heat pipe fin stack for this application. I like the way they solved the gravity feed issue for vertical vs. horizontal mounting. I wonder what kind of temps the cores run. I will have to fool around with bablefish and see if the site makes any sense. Thanks for the link Bacon.

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:55 am

Hmm.... I don't think that this is *really* interesting, because the site clearly states that a Dual-Fan PSU is absolutely necessary and that the heatsink has to be directly within the PSU's (hopefully decent) airflow.
The site says that any Thoroughbred core CPU is *NOT* usable with this heatsink.

The heatsink alone is 59,99€ which is IMO actually a decent price, but for the same money you can get an Thermalright SLK-800 with an undervoltet Papst (or Panaflo or something) that will cool your CPU (any Socket A CPU) good enough AND you can use a passively cooled PSU or - which is cheaper - a PSU with a Papst N/2GL (even @ 9V or 7V) or an undervoltet Panaflo.
All in all such a sollution is much quieter than anything that *needs* a 'good airflow' Dual-Fan PSU (read: a NON-MODIFIED Dual-Fan PSU - e.g. any Enermax).
So if I had the choice (read: money) I'd go for a "ProSilence FANLESS 350Watt PSU" with an SLK 800 + Papst N/2GL (which I actually own, but with Papst N/2GML - still practically inaudible when case is closed at the moment - one 80GB 'Cuda is not yet enclosed and therefore is louder than the CPU Cooler) and MAYBE (only if absolutely necessary) an undervoltet N/2GL @ 5 or 7V as an exhaust fan..... *this* would beat the "Calmera ks07" + Enermax Dual-Fan in both noise(lessness) and cooling.

Anyways... development goes on and this heatsink is just another indication of this ;)

BTW. I read german, so if anything specific is still unclear I'll try to explain.