QuietPC/molex radial fin cooler - ouch.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chinboy

QuietPC/molex radial fin cooler - ouch.

Post by chinboy » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:09 am

Got one of these a while ago (before this lovely site popped up), and thought it was doing a fine job. definately quieter then the stock hsf that came with my computer and apparently good for up to 1.4Ghz athlons
However, recently i started getting stability problems and after investigation discovered my 1.2Ghz athlon was chugging along at 85 - 90 degrees C.
ouch
Anyway, ive now got a thermalright AX-7 / panaflo combination and my comps at a much more healthy 40 degrees. quieter too.
So just in case anyone was considering getting one of those quietpc things, dont bother. If youve got one at the mo, id have a look and see how hot things are getting before you set somthing on fire.

Chunker

Same here

Post by Chunker » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:17 pm

I have the same QuietPC/Molex heatsink on my 1.2 AMD. I was always getting temps of 62-70C. It was quiet but not as quiet as my new Panaflow on a 80mm heatsink.

I now get temps of 39-45C by just using a normal 80mm heatsink with an undervolted Panaflow. Not only is it virtually silent, but it does a much, much better job of cooling.

The sad part is that I paid almost double for the Molex fan. Just go buy a cheapo heatsink. Get a 60-to-80mm fan adaptor mount and slap the panaflow on it. You'll get decent cooling and it'll be very quiet.