Dangers in unplugging ATI AIW 8500DV Fan?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shadymg

Dangers in unplugging ATI AIW 8500DV Fan?

Post by shadymg » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:09 pm

Ok, i've done so much, and this darned video card with it's lil annoying fan is last on my list. Is there any inherent damage that could come if i simply unplugged the fan from the card?

Is there any way to shut it up without forking $40 on that Zalman Video Heatsink?

attnet

Post by attnet » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:05 pm

That's what I did with my Radeon 8500...running like a charm so far.

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:02 am

Do a search on previous threads, I've done lots of quietening mods to mine...

I also reckon you probably could, although for the little noise it does, a 80mm fan running at 5/7 Volts may be safer... Guess it depends how much 3D you do - attnet how do you use yours?

attnet

Post by attnet » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:40 pm

Well, I rarely play games so I believe it to be quite safe for me. I did try running 3DMark for about an hour, and saw no artifacts, but there are no guarantees as to long term stability yet. Anybody know where I can get a temp monitoring utility so I can check out the temps without reaching in my case and physically feeling the chip?

Captain Spaulding
Friend of SPCR

Post by Captain Spaulding » Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:56 pm

I have this card and I've been wondering about this myself, especially because it doesn't have the mounting holes for any of the Zalmans. I've thought about attaching one with alternate means, e.g. thermal adhesive (c-clamps?). I've turned the side "blowhloe" fan on my Antec 1080amg case so it blows in the general direction of the GPU & Northbridge and hooked it to one of the "fan only" connectors of the PSU. So I wonder how much trouble I would be in if I just disconnected the GPU fan.