Anyone ever heard of Thermalright products being defective?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JarsOfFart

Anyone ever heard of Thermalright products being defective?

Post by JarsOfFart » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:10 pm

I recommended a friend get a Thermalright SK-7 from SVC.com and he said his cpu temp shot up to 113C. He was using a 39 CFM Sunon fan. He mentions the clip being lose and the heatsink being able to move from side to side. He mentions that the heatsink only covered half the core. I'm very confused. I don't see how a big hunk of copper can only cover half the core. My SLK-800 clip was very tight. I haven't heard one complaint about the Thermalright heatsinks being as useless as he claims. He also says his knowledgeable computer friends have never heard of the Thermalright SK-7 and they don't think Thermalright makes even decent products.

He now plans on getting a Volcano 9. I've heard complaints about the Volcano 9 everywhere.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:30 pm

113C? hmmm... Core burns past 90C.

Most conventional clip HS can be swiveled on the core after installation. This is NOT unique to the Thermalrights. My prelim tests show the SK7 being w/in 2C of the SLK800 through most tests with a Panaflo 80L. His install may not be right -- maybe he's got it reversed? or the clip lugs not seated right?

The SK7 is superior to the V9. No contest.

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:32 pm

MikeC wrote:113C? hmmm... Core burns past 90C.

Most conventional clip HS can be swiveled on the core after installation. This is NOT unique to the Thermalrights. My prelim tests show the SK7 being w/in 2C of the SLK800 through most tests with a Panaflo 80L. His install may not be right -- maybe he's got it reversed? or the clip lugs not seated right?

The SK7 is superior to the V9. No contest.
I agree. I think he installed it wrong. I think he did figure 14 of this. He refuses to try again though. He claims it's a design problem on Thermalright, but I told him my Vantec CCK-6027D and GC68 both moved a bit. I don't see why people would chose the TT V9 over the SK-7 when the SK-7 is cheaper with a fan and performs better.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:01 pm

you can lead them to the water but... :roll:

quokked

Post by quokked » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:22 am

<rant> maybe because thermaltake do a lot more flashier designs with their products, at the swap meets I've seen pretty much ONLY thermaltake cooling products for sale, most of the technical community (that is non overclockers) don't really care about the quality of their cooling solutions as long as their CPU is cool but they WILL go for the flashier looking heatsinks like the dragon ORBS </rant> :) hehe's

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:03 pm

Well, today he gave me the SK-7 to try and I'm getting 50 C load (running D²OL) with no case fans, only my two PSU fans. I think he got the heatsink onto the plastic ridge of the socket that says "Socket 462."