Silencing a powerful water pump?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mercury

Silencing a powerful water pump?

Post by Mercury » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:50 pm

Hi, I am (still am) about to watercool my computer, but I can’t decide witch pump I’ll get. I will use a 15m hose instead of a radiator as a passive WC system and I planned to eventually watercool EVERYTHING in my computer (Hard-drive, North bridge, GPU, PSU, no fan at all), so I need a powerful pump. I’ve narrowed my choice to those 2: Eheim 1048 and Eheim 1250.

I would get the 1250 without hesitation, but I’ve heard that it’s louder then the 1048... so my question is: have you been able to silence a 1250? If so how?

Note: I planned to put the pump in a foam enclosure, would that be enough?

Thanx for any info

~ Mercury

Gerwin

Post by Gerwin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:25 pm

Actually I don't think you need a 1250. I have everything (cpu, vga, hdd, nb) watercooled, except the psu, and I use a 1046, which has half the capacity of the 1048, but I have 8mm hoses and a very, very large radiator. I estimate a 1048 is more than enough. More flow doesn't equal better cooling, although some will argue with that and say that to get that last degree, you need a high flowrate, but you're going for silence, so I think you're better of with a 1048. If you insist on a 1250, consider that these Eheim pumps don't generate much noise themselves, but they vibrate a little. If this vibration is transmitted to your case, your case get's very noisy. If you suspend the pump or put it on foam inside your case, you won't hear much.
Btw, how do you think 15 mm hose will cool your computer? Or do you mean copper pipes? Plastic hoses don't cool to well :)

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:43 pm

Well, I've manage to find a solution in the mean time, so I ordered the 1250. I'm building myself an anti-sonic box for the pump so I won't hear it for sure :)

The hose will sit on the cold concrete in my basement (under the carpet). I got the idea from someone who has tried it, and it worked for him, so I’ll tried it and if I find out that it doesn’t work, well too bad (anyway I got the hose for free :D).

Gerwin

Post by Gerwin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:43 pm

Mercury wrote:The hose will sit on the cold concrete in my basement (under the carpet). I got the idea from someone who has tried it, and it worked for him, so I’ll tried it and if I find out that it doesn’t work, well too bad (anyway I got the hose for free :D).
Great idea!

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:40 am

Gerwin wrote:
Mercury wrote:The hose will sit on the cold concrete in my basement (under the carpet). I got the idea from someone who has tried it, and it worked for him, so I’ll tried it and if I find out that it doesn’t work, well too bad (anyway I got the hose for free :D).
Great idea!
Exactly what I thought too.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:48 am

Hey Mercury,

What about suspending your pump inside a res/tank? Or are you skipping that part, opting for a T-connector instead?

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:34 am

I stick with a T line fitting.

I'll put the big pump into a DIY anti-sonic box; witch is an old speaker (with the drivers removed). I've replaced the front and back door of the box by 1/2" MDF, and I’ve put some anti-sonic material (use for my HT room isolation) on those two MDF sheet. The box still has the initial isolation of the speaker plus an additional clean looking isolator. So I assume that it will be silent ;)

EDIT: The box will be finished this week-end, but I'm still waiting for half the part for the water-cooling setup, You know Canada is far far away :roll: