Titan Amanda TEC Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thomas

Titan Amanda TEC Cooler

Post by Thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:20 am

I couldnt find anything about this cooler here on SPCR. Anyone tried it?

It's quite expensive, and the peltier element draws around 50 w extra from the PSU, and thus might just exchange the lower CPU cooler noise for increased PSU cooler noise...

Apparently, it's made for OC'ers. But if one use low heat dissapating CPU's... it might be VERY quiet.

There's two 92 mm fans, which according to X-Bit labs are quiet. They are decoupled and, best, exchangeable :-)

It has some flaws, but at least, I find it's an interesting product.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... a-tec.html

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:05 am

the peltier element draws around 50 w extra from the PSU..if one use low heat dissapating CPU's... it might be VERY quiet.
I have grave doubts whether this H/S would be more efficient than a conventional tower heatsink with good heatpipes. I mean, 60W can be over 50% of the power consumption of a low power PC!

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:00 pm

The one thing you need to be careful with when using peltier coolers is condensation around the cooler interface and components in direct contact with the cold side of the cooler.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:27 pm

that's a really bizarre cooler - 2 heatpipes take heat from the base in contact with the CPU, then a peltier removes heat from the base to another 2 heatpipes. Why they didn't just stick 4 heatpipes in the base I don't know - I'm sure cooling performance would have been the same, but without the extra powerdraw and cost/ complication of the peltier.

From what I remember of the Xbitlabs review, it wasn't particularly impressive.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:41 am

mattthemuppet
that's a really bizarre cooler - 2 heatpipes take heat from the base in contact with the CPU, then a peltier removes heat from the base to another 2 heatpipes. Why they didn't just stick 4 heatpipes in the base I don't know
If they did, a failed pelt would cause the CPU to die instantly. A juiceless module is a heat insulator.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:36 pm

I think you're missing my point Endosteel - the Titan Amanda consists of 2 bases separated by a TEC. Each base has 2 heatpipes embedded in it. The first base is in contact with the CPU heatspreader, followed by the TEC, then the 2nd base. All the TEC does is transfer heat from the first base to the 2nd. I can't see how the TEC can increase heat transfer from the CPU as the 2nd base heatpipes will be the rate limiting step. Even worse, the TEC may actually be cooling the ends of the 1st base heatpipes in doing so. How all of this is better than 1 base with all the (4) heatpipes (ie. like every other heatpipe heatsink on the market) I don't know, even before taking into account the 50W power draw of the TEC.

If I'm missing something let me know, I really can't think of any advantage of this layout :)

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:02 pm

I really can't think of any advantage of this layout
You're forgetting the marketing advantage; now some l33t script kiddie can say he has a peltier-cooled CPU. :wink:

v3n

Post by v3n » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:33 am