It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: so how about the sk-7
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:43 am 

hey guys, i'm new here, and trying to quiet my system. i already replaced a noisy case fan, and that was so satisfying i'm moving onto the cpu heatsink. (the PSU is loud, but not as an annoying noise as the screaming little stock fan makes.)

except i have an asus a7a266, and i'm not sure what heatsinks will fit. (the socket is oriented in a different direction than most, and it's got two close capacitors.) i *know* that the ax-7 fits, but it's been conveniently discontinued.

will the sk-7 fit? i like it because it's cheap, but thermalright's website doesn't make it clear what the base measurements are. thanks.

also, i being in college my comp gets moved around a bit. is this heatsink too heavy?

here's a pic of my (dusty) mobo: Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:45 am 

and with my first post i accidentally put it in "cases & damping" instead of "cooling." sorry about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

SK7 will fit fine if the AX7 will -- the latter had the biggest profile of all TR hs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:47 pm 

The SK7 does fit most motherboards. It comes close to 1 capacitor of mine, but it's fine. The AX7 does not fit my board, FYI.

The heatsink is higher than the AMD allowance. 454 g vs. 350 g max (+ the fan) shipping...as long as you watch it, and don't shake it around too much. Mine fits pretty damn securely, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you are a LAN party freak...make sure it is attached securely, and the motherboard is attached securely to the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:13 pm 

thanks. i'll try the sk-7 out.