Neato mod to a SLK-900

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Neato mod to a SLK-900

Post by powergyoza » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:34 pm

Check out this German silent-pc site modded their SLK-900 for less vibrational noise. Looks like that bent some of the fins and attached those verax fan isolators mounts to decouple the fan from the HS.

http://www.dirkvader.de/page/slk-900.html

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

SLK-900 mod

Post by johnc » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:26 am

Interesting modification.

Sorry that I don't read German. I took the text to a translator site, but the translation was pretty rough.

I wonder if this mod decreases the efficiency of cooling. It would be interesting to test gap size versus noise versus cpu temp in an anechoic chamber.

The production values for this post are extraordinary. They could easily be included in a catalog or a glossy magazine.

John Coyle

xilles

Post by xilles » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:57 am

seems like all he did was stick rubber grommets in it ..seems like it would cut down of vibration

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jerryk » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:45 am

[Has anyone noticed much vibration with this setup? I have one and it seems to be quiet except for the sounds of the air moving.

ject

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:58 am

I'd always prefer vibration-free mounting of fans, but in case of the CPU Cooler it really shouldn't get noticeable until the (really slow moving)CPU Fan is the only thing around that could make noise...

Anyways, this cooler has not been modded by this site - it's just a review of a product.
You could buy it here

They have versions with SLK 800, SK7 and AX7 as well. I own their SLK 800 - a VERY good cooler, haven't seen anything that could compete with this until the SLK900 came out, BUT: their SLK 900 is equipped with an 92mm Fan, which is actually a little bit louder than the 80mm papst fan on their slk 800... there just aren't any 92mm fans around that are as silent as the best 80mm ones.

So basically anyone could do this (vibration-free mounting) themselves, it just involves some bending since the SLK800/900 is not 'big enough' to simply 'stick' a 80mm fan on it ;)

if there are still questions about those german sites, try to PM/eMail me. And I see what I can do to clear things up.