Scythe Ninja with Asus P5B

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Xstatic

Scythe Ninja with Asus P5B

Post by Xstatic » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Got all the bits for my new build except the Scythe Ninja which is on back-order until next week.

I wanna build now, of course, because I could use the stock cooler, BUT does installation of the Ninja require an X shaped backboard mounting plate? (yes, with tape NOT removed). Don't really want to build then unbuild and build again

Have 775 socket. THANKS.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Yes, the Ninja requires the backplate and the two front-side rails. The stock cooler requres both of these to be absent.

So, if you want to get a head start, you are commiting yourself to taking the motherboard back out of the box when it is time to install the Ninja.

Xstatic

Post by Xstatic » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:52 pm

I was pretty sure it needed the plate, since that cooler is so FREAKING HUGE, but .. I mean .. it's just like the days before Christmas as a kid, and .. I wanna build it so bad .. and

I guess I'll just have to get a life instead! :) THANKS

(and I saw your comments over on my P5W thread; I ended up with the P5B deluxe because local dealer out of stock, and p5b seemed a good plan "B". The six SATA connections is way more future proof for me anyway. K)

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:33 pm

No, the new Ninja rev.B doesn't need the back plate and the installation should be easier. It will be available in a few days.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:42 pm

paapaa wrote:No, the new Ninja rev.B doesn't need the back plate and the installation should be easier. It will be available in a few days.
True enough. I should have said the *old* Ninja needs the backplate. The new one that comes with the Intel-style push/rotate mounting gizmo needs neither the backplate nor removal of the motherboard from the case.

YngDiego

Post by YngDiego » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:19 pm

The new "B" rev does NOT play nicely with the P5B Deluxe. The base mounting bracket for LGA775 sockets smashes three capacitors on the MB. I had to use a hacksaw on the mounting bracket to remove enough material to clear the caps.

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:48 pm

YngDiego wrote:The new "B" rev does NOT play nicely with the P5B Deluxe. The base mounting bracket for LGA775 sockets smashes three capacitors on the MB. I had to use a hacksaw on the mounting bracket to remove enough material to clear the caps.
That's not very re-assuring <.< And I was about to buy one. So if I do buy one does that mean I have to bust out my dremel and dremel lots of metal? o.O Is it possible if you could post pictures of what your Ninja Base looks like?

Xstatic

Post by Xstatic » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:24 pm

And of course my Ninja B shipped an HOUR before I read this. Can anybody else confirm? I did read NeoNSX's positive experience on the YngDiego thread. Too late fer me; lucky I own a hacksaw :?

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:16 pm

I'm really surprised the Ninja B has had problems with the P5B. Unfortunately i'm using my ninja in my system with a P5W DH Deluxe at the moment; if i can think of an excuse to rip it out and re-try it on my P5B Deluxe I will (and post photos).

EDIT: i re-tried the Ninja on the P5B and there is touching. Sorry people for mis-information, but i never noticed.
Last edited by NeoNSX on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xstatic

Post by Xstatic » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:39 pm

Got my ninja today. Got out my freaking HACKSAW and modified my new, very expensive heatsink. :x

However, now everything is installed & she's lookin' fine.

NEW QUESTION if anyone's still reading this thread. Can some kind person please direct me to directions to modify a nexus 3 pin to fit a 4 pin MB connector. For ease and simplicity, I'll cut the 4 pin of the stock intel cooler if someone can tell me the matching connectors.

Nexus has yellow, red, black. 4 pin has yellow & black (so even I can figure that out), but intel has green (ground???) and blue. If I wa to bet, then blue connects to red. Yes?

AND FOR THOSE RUNNING PASSIVE. If you don't connect a fan, won't the BIOS refuse to start (fan failure). If so, how do you fool it?

Thanks!

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:23 pm

Xstatic wrote:Got my ninja today. Got out my freaking HACKSAW and modified my new, very expensive heatsink. :x

However, now everything is installed & she's lookin' fine.

NEW QUESTION if anyone's still reading this thread. Can some kind person please direct me to directions to modify a nexus 3 pin to fit a 4 pin MB connector. For ease and simplicity, I'll cut the 4 pin of the stock intel cooler if someone can tell me the matching connectors.

Nexus has yellow, red, black. 4 pin has yellow & black (so even I can figure that out), but intel has green (ground???) and blue. If I wa to bet, then blue connects to red. Yes?

AND FOR THOSE RUNNING PASSIVE. If you don't connect a fan, won't the BIOS refuse to start (fan failure). If so, how do you fool it?

Thanks!
In your BIOS there should be an option to not set off the alarm when there's no CPU Fan RPM. Or I think the new P5Bs have something like disable error F1 message.

And I don't think you can simply cut off a stock fan connector and connect it to a Nexus fan o.O

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:47 pm

Xstatic wrote: NEW QUESTION if anyone's still reading this thread. Can some kind person please direct me to directions to modify a nexus 3 pin to fit a 4 pin MB connector. For ease and simplicity, I'll cut the 4 pin of the stock intel cooler if someone can tell me the matching connectors.
This is for Intel M/Bs but it's likely to be a standard:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 012074.htm

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Xstatic wrote:NEW QUESTION if anyone's still reading this thread. Can some kind person please direct me to directions to modify a nexus 3 pin to fit a 4 pin MB connector.

Just plug the 3-pin Nexus connector into the 4-pin header. The header is keyed to prevent improper connection. I'm not sure whether the P5B (is that regular or deluxe, BTW?) can control the speed in this setup; a P5W can...

If no fan is connected, go into the BIOS, select Power/Hardware Monitor, then set CPU fan to Ignored.