Thermalright SLK800

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1

Thermalright SLK800

Post by aristide1 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:54 pm

In October 25th's article "Heatsink Roundup: 4 Socket A Heavyweights" The SLK800 is considered a socket 370 HS, as does the recommended section. My concern? The Thermalright website does not consider this a socket 370 HS.

I hope it is, cause I am looking for a beast of a HS so I can run a PIII 1.2GHz with low speed fan, probably the Vantec Stealth as it has the highest airflow that I have seen for a low speed fan.

Any help is appreciated. I'm a newbie, can you tell? Thanks. Aris

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:06 pm

Any socket A heatsink will fit onto a socket 370 board, they're one and the same, in terms of socket sizes at least.

aristide1

Post by aristide1 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:12 pm

D'Oh! That's what I get for actually reading the labels.

Thanks Rusty
:D

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:13 pm

The clip strength for Socket370 and SocketA coolers does differ though. I posted a similar question at Anandtech and someone replied
Not all coolers will work with both sockets. This is mainly true for older designs. The clip needed for AMD socket A was far stronger than what Socket370 designs used, so it took awhile to make them work on both types. Also some of the more exotic clip designs wouldn't work on both, like the original orb design where you twisted the heatsink on, which obviously crushed an Athlon core.
I think you'll be okay though.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:17 am

I use SLK-800's on all my Socket 370 boards. They work fine for PIII's and Tualatin Celerons. Clip is very tight but it certainly makes good contact with the IHS. You just can't beat this heatsink. Works great with low flow fans like Panaflos.

aristide1

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:39 am

I was pretty convinced after I saw the specs for your quiet server. Where things might get interesting is my MB wont accept a tualatin processor, so I would need a powerleap converter under the cpu before installation. I hope powerleaps custom clip would be able to hold a cooler this heavy.

http://shopping.netledger.com/app/site/ ... asCxKsBQBA

Asus Probe :shock: , in it's infinite wisdom, is telling me my CPU temp is 12C/57F, and had I not been reading on this forum I would never have noticed that this temp is lower than my MB, which makes no sense at all. Is is at least consistently low reading?

The mobo also doesn't like fan speeds below 2200 rpm ( I have one running around 2400) so I had to turn off monitoring that fan speed cause it kept beeping.

The other good thing about this site is I learned about the problems with the Papst fans. I didn't care for the cheap sleeve bearing anyway.