Probably simple newbie questions

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

catcher24

Probably simple newbie questions

Post by catcher24 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:30 am

I am new to this, and wouldn't be here except when I started up my new ABS system, I thought a helicopter had landed under my desk! Anyway, upon some investigation, it appears that most of my noise is being perpetrated by my HS fan. Questions: What is your recommendation for a HSF for the Athlon XP 2000+ chip? Will anything need to be modified to install this HSF (I am comfortable going into the case and replacing some items, but don't want to be making "tool necessary" modifications)? Also, my case fan is a little noisy - best replacement? If you know of any good websites to purchase these items, I would appreciate that info, too. Thanks all in advance for your help!
Lew Snyder :?:

dinde

Post by dinde » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:42 am

i would get an slk-800, (or similiar) hs from thermalright, with a panaflo L1A 80mm fan on top of it. im not sure how many fan slots u have on the back of your case, or how big they are, but again i suggest a few panaflo's (2 if u have 2 slots on the back of your case.) if your a real silent freak you could undervolt the panaflos, but then u would definately need 2.. at least, on the back or ur case for exhaust

catcher24

Post by catcher24 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:48 pm

Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward the SLK-800 and the Panaflo, but I wasn't sure if the SLK would entail any case modifications or if it would just fit the socket as is. I'm not a real quiet freak, but this thing really sounds like a turboprop copter sitting under my desk!
Catcher24