AOpen i915Ga-HFS / i915GMm-HFS cooling help

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

AOpen i915Ga-HFS / i915GMm-HFS cooling help

Post by shleepy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:52 am

I was wondering if there are any owners or ex-owners of i915Ga-HFS or i915GMm-HFS still out there with successful mods for cooling those Pentium M's. I've been wanting to overclock my 2GHz P-M (on a i915Ga-HFS) for quite a while, but have been afraid of heating it up too much.

As the owners of either board know, the heatsink mounting is quite nonstandard - 52mm x 52mm (4 holes, one in each corner, obviously), and it's quite difficult to find anything that fits. However, I have heard that a lot of people have been able to make some mods that work much better than the stock heatsink that comes with the board. If you did this or know someone that did, can you please post your "story"?

Note: I have a similar post on Arstechnica, if you're curious.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:57 am

I don't remember if anyone's come up with anything better since I reviewed the 915GMm, but you can read about my trials and tribulations with CPU cooling starting here.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:47 pm

I was planning on getting the i915GMm-HFS for my spare Celeron M 350. But I ended up with the Shuttle SD11G5. What I was going to do is use a big ol' Socket 8 heat sink that I have laying around. The base is a little bit larger than the stock AMD heat sink that came with my socket 754 sempron, and has big widely spaced fins. I would have drilled holes in it where the stock heat sink mounting holes are. Might of had to loose a fin or two depending on where they ended up. I figured with that big hunk of aluminum and a fan nearby, it would have been able to cool it no problem. But I can't say for sure since I didn't end up doing it.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:27 pm

I exchanged a couple emails with Mike Chin a while ago, since (if my memory serves me right) he was selling the i915ga-hfs you guys were testing on this forum. At first, he said that something like a Thermalright HR-05 might come pretty close to fitting it. However, he then changed his mind and said that perhaps some very basic HSF's might be modified fairly simply to fit. Unfortunately, our emails stopped after that, and, as far as I know, neither of us had a chance to really test anything.

I would be happy to try something out and post my results on the forum (use it for an article if you want ;)), but I really don't have much experience modifying heatsinks, and nor do I have the tools to really do much (sorry, I am a college student :)).

If you looked at the Ars link, you might have read that arsbernard posted that he used the heatsink as a sort of clamp to hold a heatsink with a small base, and specifically, a TT Big Typhoon. This is pretty creative and he says it gets the job done, but I have a vertical case (Antec P180), while he has a horizontal one, so I would be a tad afraid to do what he does.

Another idea I ran across a while ago was to try using a Zalman VF700-Cu, but I don't know if anyone actually tried it. It seems not unlikely that this could fit, more or less, actually.