$15 quiet cpu cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snaimpally

$15 quiet cpu cooler

Post by snaimpally » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:50 pm

I just installed an Arctic Cooling Super Silent temp controller cpu cooler for a Celeron 1.7G and man it is quiet. Along with the Nexus psu and an Arctic Cooling temp controller case fan, I can actually hear myself think while at the computer.

After installing the cpu cooler, and with the case still open, I powered on. Interestingly the fan came on for a few seconds then turned off and repeated this for a while. I'm happy.

It would be nice to see a full blown review in SPCR and perhaps list it under 'budget reccomended components' for those who can't shell out $50 for a Zalman.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:44 pm

I second the idea for a budget silent products section. It could include power supplys, fans, heatsinks, ect. that can be had for less money than what the recommended section currently has.

snaimpally

Post by snaimpally » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:20 am

GamingGod wrote:I second the idea for a budget silent products section. It could include power supplys, fans, heatsinks, ect. that can be had for less money than what the recommended section currently has.
The Fortron/Sparkle/Verax PSUs get a lot of reccomendations in the user forums but are not listed/reviewed on the SPCR site. These PSUs are half the price of a Nexus. I would be interested in Fortron vs Nexus noise. silentpc.de sells the Fortron PSUs so they must be pretty quiet.

NeilBlanchard

If you think $15 is cheap, how about $5?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:19 pm

Hello:

A really inexpensive Socket A HS w/ a 28dBA fan included is on sale at Silicon Valley Compucycle (SVC) for $5 -- and when the sale ends, it'll be $6!

http://www.svcompucycle.com/newsvcgc3280.html

It gets decent reviews, even.