Best heatsink/cooler for the following configuration...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Best heatsink/cooler for the following configuration...

Post by SZ » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:13 am

:?:
Hello,

Currently I'm building a new HTPC instead of noisy Shuttle SS51G and I'm interested in ideas about what is the quietest heatsink for config like this one:
- P4 (2.4, not overclocked)
- big cube case - YY-B0221
- fanless video
- fanless PSU (proSilence 350)
- Barracuda IV
- undervolted 90/120mm fans (probably papst)

Something else like DVD drive will be added of course, but the major noise sources are going to be CPU, HDD and fans.

Noise is going to be dampened by some sound dampening mats.
I'm going to use some HDD enclosure as well.

The target is - the quiet computer during regular load (like movie watching, music listening, etc). I mean really quiet - I don't want to hear it when I'm couple feet away. Don't say I'm crazy, I hear Barracuda in my Shuttle very well when every fan in the system is turned off! :)

I'm thinking about Zalman 7000, Thermalright 800 or 900 and Verax 16Cu. I think I'll stop at Thermalright 900 - I can at least change fans there.

I know that everything have been discussed many times here, just place yourself at my place and say Zalman | Thermalright or Verax! :)

Or should I go watercooling? fanless CPU cooler? Is there anything worthy available at all?

any advice is appreciated!
thanks!

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:38 am

Hey serge,

The CNPS-7000 is said to have a good fan, so I wouldn't worry about picking that one.

My biggest concern is the poorly designed airflow for this case. No heatsink fanned or fanless will do well in that case. There's nothing on the mobo half to exhaust the heat. Solutions include:
  1. hacking the case to include a blowhole above the CPU,
  2. Watercooling so airflow efficiency is only a concern around the area of your radiator, or
  3. get a better designed case.
Hope that helps.
Leo

SZ
Patron of SPCR

case airflow

Post by SZ » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:25 pm

thanks Leo,
actually there is a blowhole right above CPU, seems that there are a couple of YY-0221 modifications including one without the blowhole.
Am I right? Mine (haven't got it yet) should have this blowhole, hopefully...