Permissible CPU temperatures

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan_hxff

Post by dan_hxff » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:22 am

It seems accepting higher CPU temperatures is part of silent pc. In a way it's worth the peace and quiet to replace a CPU in 2 years (when it's 1/3 the price anyway) instead of 5 or never. Anyone have the safe operating temperatures for Intel and AMD CPUS?
Athlon XP, Pent 3 and 4 specifically.

Thanks
Dan

dan_hxff

CPU temp indicator, monitor

Post by dan_hxff » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:24 am

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:16 am

PIII and PIV are safe up to near 70°C. This is where they start to thermally throttle.

I'm half talking out my ass about AMD CPUs 'cause I haven't used on since 1.4Tbird days but I seem to remember hearing that AMD says up to 90°C is OK. Anyone care to help me out here?

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:05 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:PIII and PIV are safe up to near 70°C. This is where they start to thermally throttle.

I'm half talking out my ass about AMD CPUs 'cause I haven't used on since 1.4Tbird days but I seem to remember hearing that AMD says up to 90°C is OK. Anyone care to help me out here?
Most of the newer or faster AthlonsXP are at 85C now. The more expensive MP's are different - they're usually rated to 90C for the faster ones (95 for the older ones).

You can get it all here: Processor Electrical Specifications

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:34 pm

High CPU temps don't seem to be a problem, I can run stably many of my systems with CPU temps that would have most oc junkies pissing their pants in anxiety (I know, cus I was one till I came out from the dark side and found the light) :lol:

But I think there is an issue with the effect the extra heat has on other components in/around the CPU, on-mobo components, the PSU components, fan bearings, anything else that might actually wear out faster because of the heat. Like maybe the nylong/plastic Zalman clips for their 6500 P4 coolers. Mechanical components in CD/DVD drives, etc.

My rule of thumb is to try and keep long term peaks with 100% CPU usage under 60C for P4s and 65C for XPs. In one P4 setup, I had to keep it lower than ~57-8C; beyond that it would get unstable, but that was an anomaly. Took it apart & rebuilt it and it's actually fine up to ~70C now.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:29 pm

I've worried about this, as well. At work, I tend to buy/build performance-oriented machines (since we really need the cycles when doing recording, simulations, etc.). But, we're an acoustics lab and we like things quiet. At this point, I think the HVAC is consistantly the loudest thing we can't control :evil: (except for someone turing up an audio monitor way too loud, of course).

Anyway, I've built the systems for quiet. The latest is a P4 3.06 with stock thermally-regulated cooler. It's a bit loud and I'll probably replace it with a Thermalright 900 or so, but it's currently pegged at 59C, MOBO at 35C, while running F@H. So far, it's rock stable. I worry about heat for the longer term, but it seems well within Intel's limits. I've got the guts in a ThermalTake Xaser III (which I wouldn't recommend, BTW), with the critical outtake fans near full speed (though stil quiet).

Bottom line, I've never gotten a definitive answer of good typical temps, just the limits of "beware".

DeadBySundown
Friend of SPCR

Post by DeadBySundown » Mon May 05, 2003 6:43 pm

The Motherboard Monitor site has a nice summary page on CPU temperatures:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/cputemp.html