Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Cpumate heatsinks

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:07 pm

I stumbled upon this company, CpuMate.

CputMate

Looks like very interesting stuff, too bad their web design is awful. Check out the "how it works" link in particular. Anybody else ever heard of them, or know of a North American distributor that carries their products? A google search on them turned up virtually nothing in english.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:44 pm

Bad web design & techno hogwash too, like "the heatpipe, which is over 100, times heat-transferring speed comparing to simple Aluminum cooler design". It's completely meaningless -- a heatpipe is useful in transferring heat some distance from the source, which might be preferable because of space limitations, or connection to a large radiator or whathave you. If they're referring to the HS shown, it is way too small for it to have any real useful purpose.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:56 am

I'd have to agree with Mike, the only advantage to heatpipe is to move the heat to another location for space reasons. If the argument is moving the heat from the bottom to the top of the heatsink thats BS, why not make it go straight up the heatsink, it doesn't get there any faster just because it goes through a couple copper tubes that wrap around the outside of the heatsink to increase its marketability. If the heatsink is small, no matter how well it is cut up to increase surface area it can't really compete with a swiftech, alpha, or thermalright which are already designed and cut up well for increased surface area. However I'm not putting down heatpipe technology, which I think can really help. I think if someone made a big heatpipe heatsink such as a SLK-800 but with heatpipes coming out of it to yet another huge heatsink that attaches to the back of the case and exhausts with a 80mm fan (because they are most common) and suddenly you have more surface area not to mention heat immediately leaving the case, and you can have it act as a case fan at the same time, much like the newer shuttle bare bones mini pc's are doing with the heatpipe heatsink. A bigger version I think would cool really well with minimal noise.

-Ken