It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 530j cooling
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:48 am 

I just put a new computer system together composed of a 530j processor (3.0ghz p4), (2)512mb sticks of geil pc3200 ram, Asus P5GL-MX Motherboard, nmediapc HTPC 100 case.

Everything is installed and cords are tucked away properly so that airflow is not altered. The case seems to have good airflow and I am using the stock heatsink, fan, and thermal paste that came with the Processor from Intel for the cpu. The case temp stays around 30-37 degrees celcius and the cpu is staying around 50-53 degrees celcius when idle.

I know that I read lots of articles on here and other forums about the 530j processor running a little on the hot side but does the 50-53 degrees celcius when idle seem a little high? From what I've read, I get the idea that the processor should be running around 40 degrees celcius when idle. What are some options that I can use to drop the temperature on the cpu? I have not run any heavy applications as of yet but I would imagine they will push the cpu to around 60-65 degrees celcius.

I've read to replace the paste with Artic Silver 5 first. What kind of temperature decrease will that create. What would my next steps be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:55 am 
Friend of SPCR

I think that if you don't change the heatsink with something better, AS5 will do nothing. A friend switched to a XP90 and temps dropped by 10! degrees.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:58 am 

I'll give that a shot Jim,,thanks!