ecs l4s8a2 vs cnps7000 or slk800/900

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HadroLepton

ecs l4s8a2 vs cnps7000 or slk800/900

Post by HadroLepton » Sat May 03, 2003 1:28 pm

hi. i have the elitegroup ecs l4s8a2 mainboard and would like to get either the cnps7000 or the slk800/900 with silent fans of course :)

here is a review with a big picture of my board
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/rou ... is648.html

and the manufacturers page with more info but less picture
http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/pd_spec. ... duct_id=35

i have checked the zalman incompability page
http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/news/20030224.htm
the cnps7000 won't have any problems with the agp slot on this board. there should also be sufficient space to the psu.

what i'm woried about are the two capacitors immediately over the retention clips, just below the parallel/serial ports. i fear that one of the capacitors will interfere with the spring clip just like shown in case 1 of zalman's incompability list.

for the slk800/900 the problem might be the row of capacitors on the right side of the socket. which is, if i'm not mistaken, the side where the fins of the slk800/900 expand to. those capacitors are quite high so the fins might collide with them. and they can't be bend away from the socket cause their two feets are horizontal (horizontal reffering to the orientation like in the picture), so their bending space would be up down along the edge of the socket but not away from the socket.

i would like to know if anyone has succesfully installed either of these heatsinks on this board.

thanks for any feedback

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 03, 2003 2:53 pm

seems to me either of those HS will fit ANY P4 mobo.

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Sun May 04, 2003 11:11 am

woo i got reply from the admin himself i am flattered ;)

at least those boards listed in the zalman page wont fit.

and thermalright has their own list of incompabilites
http://www.thermalright.com/faq_900_Motherboard.html
though those listed are all socket a boards, and they claim that they haven't found any p4 board which does not fit. but the nature of the slk900 as a hardcore cooler suggests that those using it are using it with a hardcore board, if you take a glance at the incompability list those are all hardcore socket a boards. so i fear that no one has ever tried the slk900 with my 'low profile' board and thats why it has never been reported as incompatible.

well there is always a first time. i will report back when i have one of the heatsinks

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun May 04, 2003 11:19 am

You could be right -- have to admit I have not looked at any "low end" P4 boards in a while...

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:27 pm

resurecting my old thread to answer my own question :)
please ignore if this is of no interrest. i just thought i post this info for those other poor saps who might come here looking for this info (like me couple of months ago) ;)

i just recently got around to buying a zalman cnps7000 alcu and it fits on the ecs l4s8a2. the two capacitors i was worried about are just so much off from the center that the clip from the cnps7000 fits just right. there is about 1 mm space between the clip and the capacitor.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:21 pm

Not sure about the P4, but on the Athlon boards , The Heatsink Fins on the 800/900 Run in the same dir as the zif socket latch.

As such those capacitors shouldn't even be close to being at risk.

**NOTE** I have not seen which direction the fins run in relation to a p4 socket heatsink retention bracket.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:00 am

starsky wrote:Not sure about the P4, but on the Athlon boards , The Heatsink Fins on the 800/900 Run in the same dir as the zif socket latch.

As such those capacitors shouldn't even be close to being at risk.

**NOTE** I have not seen which direction the fins run in relation to a p4 socket heatsink retention bracket.
The fins of the SLK900U run perpendicular to the long axis of the stock P4 retention bracket.