This one looks interesting.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

This one looks interesting.

Post by aristide1 » Thu May 15, 2003 6:26 am

Big claims, small price. Copper bottom, has an 80mm fan, copper and aluminum are joined together with tin. From Switzerland? It's called Artic Cooling Copper Silent TC, $15.

http://www.heatsinkstore.com/svcompucyc ... ositc.html

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Thu May 15, 2003 2:00 pm

looks like a iccle fan to me, but its right scale :)

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Thu May 15, 2003 9:51 pm

I got many of them (surprise, given my location)

I think they're one of the best price/cooling/silence conpromise for me.

They are also huuuge and I think pretty silent. The one I used on my XP1700 makes almost the same noise as the stock Zalman (flower) HS+F at very low/lowest level.

In fact, when I first came to SPCR, I found strange that they were not reviewed nor in the recommended list.

mountainpenguin

Post by mountainpenguin » Fri May 16, 2003 1:22 am

Here is specification url:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/produc ... silent_tc/

Hmm.. for $15 it's does appear to be a bargain if it is indeed that good.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri May 16, 2003 5:05 am

Wow, looking at the graph of fan speed vs. heat if it was in my system the fan would never get above 1500 rpm. Very nice.

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Fri May 16, 2003 5:23 am

Interesting, I should look for this here...

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Fri May 16, 2003 5:48 am

They are very popular here. Be aware that as the heatsink is a 64mm*80mm they use a non-standard 80mm fan, and you won't be able to replace it with a fanaflo or other "normal" fan.

Look here.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri May 16, 2003 6:54 am

If the screw spacing is non standard and into a threaded area what you say is true. If it's like the SVCG68 where self taping screws go into the heatsink fins at any convenient location then it should not matter. I can't which way it is from any of the pics I've seen of this unit.

The fan shroud should be of little consequence, but what do I know?

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Fri May 16, 2003 11:25 am

Do you think it would cool a AlthonXP 2100+ Paly silently?
I've been looking at a silent and cheap cooler if there is one to be found. Looked at the SVC G68 and G69 but don't know if they will be enough to cool my processor. I've also looked at the AX-7 just want to make sure there isn't anything better.

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Sun May 18, 2003 10:58 am

According to IDF Reports, part 2 :
Anticipating greater demand for quiet computing, SVC has become the distributor for Arctic Cooling of Switzerland. [...]
A unique-looking fan with a thermistor speed control is used, and the clip mechanism for the AMD cooler looks simple yet very secure.
Shervin provided a couple of samples which will be reviewed here soon.
Guess it's time to do it ;)

EDIT A Review of the non-copper version is here
Last edited by dago on Sun May 18, 2003 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun May 18, 2003 12:02 pm

dago wrote:According to IDF Reports, part 2 :
Anticipating greater demand for quiet computing, SVC has become the distributor for Arctic Cooling of Switzerland. [...]
A unique-looking fan with a thermistor speed control is used, and the clip mechanism for the AMD cooler looks simple yet very secure.
Shervin provided a couple of samples which will be reviewed here soon.
Guess it's time to do it ;)
You mean you guys have not read the review of the Arctic Cooling HSF in SPCR??? Come on, look around a bit! It's not exactly hard to find & has only been there since last Nov!

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sun May 18, 2003 1:54 pm

Well technically, the cooler in question is the "Arctic Cooling Copper Silent TC", and MikeC, you reviewed the "Arctic Cooling Super Silent Pro TC". ;)

But since we know the thermally-controlled fan is well-designed, because you did a very nice review on it already, the cooler appears to be a safe buy for someone wanting a cheap, reasonably quiet cooler.

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Sun May 18, 2003 2:18 pm

I didn't find it listed in the 'recommended' list ...
I wasn't browsing this site at the time of the review ...

so here is why :oops:

ok, I'll make on my pc fold 1 WU for you as punishment for my unexplainable lack of knowledge of all the content of this site ;)

and, btw, why isn't it on the 'recommended' list ?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun May 18, 2003 2:40 pm

dago wrote:I didn't find it listed in the 'recommended' list ...
I wasn't browsing this site at the time of the review ...

so here is why :oops:

ok, I'll make on my pc fold 1 WU for you as punishment for my unexplainable lack of knowledge of all the content of this site ;)

and, btw, why isn't it on the 'recommended' list ?
only 1wu?? :lol:

Hmmm good point, why isn't it?? :oops:

Next time I make a change, it will go on. It's not highly recommended, as it just doesn't have that much cooling power, but as a cheap quiet device for med/low power CPUs, it's tough to beat.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:12 pm

Well I just ordered one, we'll see what happens next week.

Ravendark

Got an arctic slim silent pro TC

Post by Ravendark » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:13 pm

I just started my quest for building a silent PC this week, after finding this website, which is excellent by the way :) My CPU HS/fan of choice was the arctic slim silent pro TC (couldn't find the copper version, I don't think it would make that much of a difference). I just got it today and built it into my PC, hoping I'd never have to hear the thing again.

Well, it didn't work -that- well unfortunately... :? It's normally running around 1800 RPM and I can still hear it when I'm about 6 meters away, it's not loud but clearly audible. I double checked that it's actually the arctic and not one of the other noise-makers in my PC -- after stopping the CPU fan my PC goes almost dead silent.

But I guess for the cost (I spent 20 euros on it) it's still very good! Maybe when I win the lottery I'll replace it with something even more quiet :)

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:36 am

20euros is crappy hsf money so :)

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:20 am

ravendark: what is your CPU ?

Ravendark

Post by Ravendark » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:34 am

Dago, I have a 2 year old Duron 800Mhz CPU. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge to cool should it? :)

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:46 am

For the record, I'm using it in a AMD Duron 750 MHz and in a T-Bred B 1700 (to be replaced with an SLK)

Unfortunately, neither of them are operating in a sensitive environment : they are in the lab, at work, freshly re-assembled

The duron was inside a closet, at home and it was almost impossible to hear (8mm wood, standard undamped case), when it was running with a quiet HDD.

It has been now moved and promoted to the role of a server with 5 SCSI HDD (that's where my two 10k rpm IBM screamers went). And, obviously, the HSF is not the noisiest part in it ;)

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:52 pm

I put two of these in computers at work; one in that "real mccoy" server tower in the cases section, and while I can't comment on the noise or cooling ability, I can say I found the clip very difficult to use

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:32 pm

Just got this unit. If you ignore the fan for a sec for $15 you get a good size (about 70mm square) aluminum hs with a copper base, about 1 1/4 inches square. The copper base is protected and has a mirror finish. Build quality looks very good.

The fan? About 70mm. I managed to remove it and plug it into a system. Hold the thermal sensor between my fingers the fan barely spun at all, so slow it wasn't moving any air. Interesting was I could stop the fan under these conditions. It would sit for a second and then it would take off, and again settle to the real low speed. Seems it knew to bump up the voltage momentarily to get the fan started. Then I placed a flame under the thermal sensor. Oh yeah it ramped up good, it was a bit whiny. The issue is what will it do in a system?

The fan screws into a flat base that snaps onto the heat sink. The flat base protrudes outward more than the hs itself. Given it's design there's no reason not to put an 80mm on top and hold it in place with those plastic ties that are often used to bundle wires.

Comes with a syringe of the usual stuff.

I'd like to see it for $10 without a fan.
Last edited by aristide1 on Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

vb.de

Post by vb.de » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:06 am

I have this Copper Silent TC too and must say that I'm quite satisfied.
Ok, a VERAX P? is more more quietly, but that's four times the money that I spent for the Arctic one.
To my opinion it's the quietest HSF you can get for a limited budget.
It must be about 10€ now (Germany) because the next bigger one, Copper Silent 2 TC, is about 15€ now.

By the way Mike, still no changes in the 'recommended list' last month :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:05 am

vb.de wrote:I have this Copper Silent TC too and must say that I'm quite satisfied.
Ok, a VERAX P? is more more quietly, but that's four times the money that I spent for the Arctic one.
To my opinion it's the quietest HSF you can get for a limited budget.
It must be about 10€ now (Germany) because the next bigger one, Copper Silent 2 TC, is about 15€ now.

By the way Mike, still no changes in the 'recommended list' last month :wink:
Thanks for the reminder. It's been updated, the AS is in the list.

vb.de

Post by vb.de » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:41 am

Thanks Mike.

What you put on the list is the tested Super Silent Pro TC. When you look at the pictures and dates at the arctic cooling site it seems to be a Copper Silent TC without a copper plate. Everything the same except of thermal resistence.
So better for hotter CPUs and noise is more or less the same :?: Or is that conclusion to easy?

The new HSF Copper Silent 2 TC has a different heatsink design and a different fan. I just look in Ebay Germany and found a price about 14€. So I think it's worth for a new review.

By the way Copper Silent TC 7€