Does anyone have a GC69?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AndrewC

Does anyone have a GC69?

Post by AndrewC » Sat May 17, 2003 6:47 pm

I was wondering if the GC69 had a copper insert because it looks exactly this Speeze heatsink.
ImageImage
I don't think the GC68 will cool my 2100+paly quietly.

Thanks

NeilBlanchard

Re: Does anyone have a GC69?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat May 17, 2003 8:49 pm

Hello Andrew:
AndrewC wrote:I don't think the GC68 will cool my 2100+paly quietly.
The GC68, lapped with an 18CFM/18dBA NMB fan cools my oc'd 2100+ Tbred 'B' (they are running at 2gHz, or 13x154mHz). Granted, my room temps are relatively cool, but when the air temps are in the 70's (F), I'm seeing CPU temps in the 50-51C range, though more typically they are in the low to mid 40's (when the air temps are in the mid 60's F).

The GC69 looks to be no worse, and is probably a bit better than the GC68.

The other one I would consider from SVC, is the Artic Cooling Copper Silent TC

While the fan is a bit noiser at it's maximum (and it blows a bit more air at the same time), it does have thermal control, which makes it much quieter -- without tweaking -- and you get the headroom automatically if things heat up. The stock fan on the GC68 and GC69 is quieter than the max of the Artic Cooling fan -- but you either have to undervolt it, (it is decent at 7 volts and quiet at 5V) or replace it -- and SVC seems to have sold out of the NMB's! :( I doubt very much that they wouldn't mention the copper slug in the GC69 -- if it had it; have you asked them?

For me the clincher is the bottom Edit: this is the all aluminum version:

This is one hell of a lot smoother than the one on my GC68 was -- it looks as good or better than mine do after an hour of lapping, and it looks like some of the "softness" is the graininess of the digital photo...
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sun May 18, 2003 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Sun May 18, 2003 8:01 am

Thanks. I'm waiting for them to respond to my email. Another reason why I think that the GC69 has a copper insert is the GC68 is an exact replica of another Speeze heatsink. Do you have some guess on the wattage of your oveclocked processor, because my 2100+ when I fold is about 65watts.

NeilBlanchard

D'oh -- that picture is the all aluminum version!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 18, 2003 8:02 pm

Hello Andrew:

My bad -- I mixed up the all-aluminum version with the copper bottomed one -- the review and that picture are of the all aluminum version. The copper *should* be better, right?

As for a 2100+ Palomino vs my 2100+ Thoroughbred 'B' oc'd from 1.73gHz to 2gHz -- yours is probably a bit hotter, but SVC says it's okay for use on Athlons up to "2900+", so I bet you'll be fine.

Remember, I'm using a GC68 -- which is only "rated" up to 1800+ -- and I'm using a lower air flow fan than stock (I'm only using an 18CFM NMB vs the 32CFM stock fan), and I'm getting quite cool temps. With lapping and it isn't summer yet, but I think I'll be fine -- especially since we have A/C... :shock:

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Mon May 19, 2003 4:39 am

Thanks. I'm still waiting for a response from SVC before I buy.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Thu May 22, 2003 11:11 am

They finally contacted me. The GC69 does not have a copper core and it is recommended for all current AMD processors.

Thanks for you help again.