Ninja backplate (original)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

weemies

Ninja backplate (original)

Post by weemies » Tue May 06, 2008 3:22 am

I have the original Scythe Ninja, and I'm having a bit of a problem with the backplate. It's kind of screwed up since I removed it from my previous mobo. The adhesive on the backplate was so strong it was a real battle to remove, and when I finally did, the rubber was all torn.

I *have* since installed the ninja to a new mobo without any problems, but now that I'm updating my mobo again, I'd rather not use the backplate in its current form, because I fear it could cause a short in the mobo.

I'm thinking of either covering the backplate with something, or using some grommets to prevent the backplate from touching the mobo.

Any ideas on how I should do this, and what kind of material to use?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 06, 2008 4:25 am

Hello,

I would use something similar to the original -- w/o the sticky backing, though. It is critical to have it insulate against electrical contact, over time. You should remove any sharp protrusions (wire leads) by carefully snipping them flush with the solder -- so they won't penetrate through the backing material.

weemies

Post by weemies » Tue May 06, 2008 5:27 am

Thanks for the reply. Can you name any specific materials I should ask for, that aren't electrically conductive?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue May 06, 2008 7:54 am

The trick was to not remove the sheet covering the adhesive in the first place. :wink:

Neoprene rubber would work I think. Sometimes hardware comes packed with it.

weemies

Post by weemies » Tue May 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Oh, there's still protection there, so the metal isn't directly touching the mobo, but it's much thinner than the original obviously. I'm not a complete moron. :)

Seriously, the backplate is 100% impossible to remove, intact, from the mobo. The adhesive is so damn strong. It's just a terrible design choice, because obviously it doesn't need to be sticky at all.

What do you think about something like this:
http://www.skottensplast.se/images/produkt/1630.jpg

I have some of those. The material is felt-like, and you use them normally under chairs etc to prevent scratches to hardwood floor. They would be sufficiently thick and firm to prevent any metal contact. Could they be electrically conductive?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 pm

When I had this problem, I replaced the original adhesive/rubber with some 3M two-side-sticky tack squares. They come in 3x3 sheets with each square about 1/2" on a side. About $5 as I recall.

[The original intent of this product is to stick photos etc to fridges without a magnet obscuring the front.]

fmriguy

Re: Ninja backplate (original)

Post by fmriguy » Wed May 07, 2008 8:29 pm

weemies wrote:I have the original Scythe Ninja, and I'm having a bit of a problem with the backplate. It's kind of screwed up since I removed it from my previous mobo. The adhesive on the backplate was so strong it was a real battle to remove, and when I finally did, the rubber was all torn.

I *have* since installed the ninja to a new mobo without any problems, but now that I'm updating my mobo again, I'd rather not use the backplate in its current form, because I fear it could cause a short in the mobo.

I'm thinking of either covering the backplate with something, or using some grommets to prevent the backplate from touching the mobo.

Any ideas on how I should do this, and what kind of material to use?
I'm actually a few steps behind you weemies. I've been trying to get that darn backplate off and so far it has been less than fruitful. How did you successfully remove it? I've been trying applying heat from a hair dryer and using an old credit card, but so far I have only been able to get under just a small portion of the plate.

My worst fear is that by tugging on it, i might rip off one of the little transistors (at least i think that might be what they are) underneath. What is the magic trick?

I was planning on applying some layers of electrical tape to the bottom after I was finished and then using rubber grommets at each hole. This way, even if you happened to torque it down so far that the plate touched the mobo, the tape would prevent any shorting.

@ Vicotnik, I learned my lesson...the second Ninja I bought for my other machine, I didn't remove the sheet...much easier :lol:

weemies

Re: Ninja backplate (original)

Post by weemies » Thu May 08, 2008 3:10 am

fmriguy wrote:I'm actually a few steps behind you weemies. I've been trying to get that darn backplate off and so far it has been less than fruitful. How did you successfully remove it? I've been trying applying heat from a hair dryer and using an old credit card, but so far I have only been able to get under just a small portion of the plate.

My worst fear is that by tugging on it, i might rip off one of the little transistors (at least i think that might be what they are) underneath. What is the magic trick?
I'm afraid there is no magic trick, at least to the way I removed the plate. I used a hair dryer, like Scythe web site suggested, but it was still really, really difficult. I tried to be as careful as I could, and removed it very slowly and patiently. Still, I ended up using more force than I was comfortable with, and I had to use a screwdriver or some other flat metallic object to pry the plate off.

Luckily the mobo still worked fine after the backplate was off, and is now in my friend's computer.

Does anyone have an idea whether I should use the felt thingies I asked about earlier?