Stock P4 cooler fan suddenly takes off

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Stock P4 cooler fan suddenly takes off

Post by tragus » Tue May 20, 2003 6:37 am

OK, I know I should replace the stock retail Intel P4 cooler with something else, but...

My system has been running for 2+ months with the stock P4 heatsink, with the fan quite consistant at ~3300 RPM (CPU~=57C, MB~=32C). It's a P4 3.06 GHz on an ASUS MB with their Q-fan enabled in a Thermatake Xaser III case (not recommended for various reasons). PS is a Nexus. The system is running F@H and all the usual stuff (e.g., XP). The sound level was adequate for the lab environment, for now.

Suddenly, yesterday, the CPU fan jumped to ~5200 RPM and is now quite a loud turbine (really annoying). CPU and MB temps are virtually unchanged and do not seem correlated at all with fan speed. The fan speed will occasionally return to ~3300 RPM, but appears to be much more variable overall. What changed yesterday? I moved the case 90 degrees! Returning it back to it previous position has not altered this new unruly behavior.

I'll next try turning off the ASUS Q-fan. Meanwhile, do any of you SPCR sages have suggestions what might be causing the fan (and noise) speed-up and what I might do about it?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Stock P4 cooler fan suddenly takes off

Post by aphonos » Tue May 20, 2003 9:12 am

tragus wrote:I moved the case 90 degrees! Returning it back to it previous position has not altered this new unruly behavior.

I'll next try turning off the ASUS Q-fan. Meanwhile, do any of you SPCR sages have suggestions what might be causing the fan (and noise) speed-up and what I might do about it?
Two ideas...

1. Did you turn the case 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal? If so, you may have caused some kind of disconnect between the CPU and HSF and the QFan responded accordingly to maintain temps. Check the seating of your HSF.

2. Maybe Q fan was turned off somehow and the fan is running at full blast now that nothing is managing it.

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Tue May 20, 2003 2:27 pm

open up your case and check if your heatsink is clogged up with dust..

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue May 20, 2003 3:06 pm

Remember, too, that the stock Intel HSF is thermistor controlled. See the P4 HS roundup review if you don't know about this.

Something must have changed to make the CPU/HS area hotter and the internal thermistor (in the hub of the fan) is seeing higher temps and kicking the fan speed up. Or it could even be that something was lodged in the fan thermistor area that insulated it previously from heat, and now it is not insulated anymore, thus giving you speed changes based on temp changes. (That's a long shot...)