Need advise: Cooling Radeon 8500 and Ahtlon 1.33GHz

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DigitalGriffin

Need advise: Cooling Radeon 8500 and Ahtlon 1.33GHz

Post by DigitalGriffin » Tue May 27, 2003 4:18 am

I have two cooling problems:

1) Cooling my original Radeon 8500. It has no heatsink mounting holes, so I can rule out heatpipes. Can anyone suggest anything?

2) Cooling my Athlon 1.33GHz. When I give the system a workout, it heats up to 72C using MBM (Surprisingly it's stable.) I'm using a SLK800A with a 80mm SilenX fan. I made sure I put on a thin layer of Zinc Oxide paste. Is there a better way to cool? I think the heat sink is mounted properly because it's hot when I touch it. Maybe a panaflo 12A or Pabst? Does anyone know where I can pick these up online?

~Thanks
~Don

goose_wh

Post by goose_wh » Tue May 27, 2003 2:22 pm

you can either buy a zalman hs which attatches with epoxy, or just disconnect the fan from the card by unplugging it. I have unplugged my fan & the HS performs fine on its own, completed Wolfenstein & Half Life with just the HS with no problems at all.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Tue May 27, 2003 4:56 pm

Griffin, that Athlon sounds mighty hot. My old 1.4Ghz athlon didn't ever get anywhere near that hot. What voltage are you running the fan at ?

Also re the 8500, do some searching, I posted temps on my experiences running my 8500 without a fan.

DigitalGriffin

Post by DigitalGriffin » Wed May 28, 2003 7:41 am

71C/72C Sounded hot to me too. When idle, I'm running about 61-65C. I'm running the CPU and voltage automatically determined by the motherboard.

There was some residue left by the SLK800A when I took the protective plastic layer off the botton of the heatsink. But I don't think that's the problem.

I'm starting to think that the problem is the SilenX fan which hardly puts out any air at all. (Which really has me worried about the power supply which uses the same supply and is inverted (fan bottom) from the usual fashion.) The side of the power supply did get warm one day.

~hmmm
~Wonder how other SilenX cooled CPU's are doing?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed May 28, 2003 8:00 am

DigitalGriffin wrote:71C/72C Sounded hot to me too. When idle, I'm running about 61-65C. I'm running the CPU and voltage automatically determined by the motherboard.
What are your case temps? Ambient temps? May also want to include them in your post on silenx fans.