Can this heatsink take an 80mm Panaflo?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wedge

Can this heatsink take an 80mm Panaflo?

Post by Wedge » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:27 pm

I have a P4 1.3GHz (400MHz fsb). It's a Gateway that I bought almost 2 1/2 years ago. I would like to change the 60mm fan on it but I want to be reassured that the heatsink will accept a quite one like the 80mm Panaflo (L1A I think?).

I know nothing about heatsinks. This one came pre-installed as Gateways do; I have no idea of the make/model. Would somebody be kind enough to let me upload a pic of it for the forum members to see and help assess the situation?

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:34 pm

You might also notice in my sig that I have a Vantec Stealth 92mm. Ha!! Don't beleive it (You're right about this Mike). It is not the loudest, but it certainly doesn't come anywhere near the quietness that this forum is seeking. It has a buzzing sound.

Any recommendations for a replacement are appreciated. I would like another 92mm but it is actually mounted on an 80mm grill.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:40 am

A few months ago dgouldin made the kind offer to host pics for SPCR members. Why don't you look him up and post your pics on his site?

Right off the top though, if your Gateway is using the stock Intel HSF on your P4 you will not be able to replace the stock fan with any[/u] aftermarket fan. The fans on those heatsinks snap onto the aluminum fins, theyre not screwed on like a typical aftermarket fan.

If you want to have an 80mm fan cooling your CPU you will probably have to put on an aftermarket Socket 423 Heatsink.

I suppose another possibility would be to pull the fan off of your stock heatsink and get one of those Zalman fan brackets so you could mount *any* fan on the bracket above your heatsink/CPU and cool it that way.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:15 am

The only other option (in addition to what you have mentioned), is to remove the stock fan/heatsink (and yes it is stock) and replace it with another?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:19 am

Wedge wrote:The only other option (in addition to what you have mentioned), is to remove the stock fan/heatsink (and yes it is stock) and replace it with another?
Already included that option:
Ralf Hutter wrote:If you want to have an 80mm fan cooling your CPU you will probably have to put on an aftermarket Socket 423 Heatsink.
:)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:04 am

ooops.....don't know how I overlooked that :oops:
been getting less sleep this week..

Thanks for your 2nd effort :D