Trying to build a duct from the CPU heatsink to the side of

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jg1234

Post by jg1234 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Group,
<BR>
<BR>Borrowing from a design that I saw in person I am trying to build a duct from the large cpu heatsink I have to the side of the PSU.
<BR>
<BR>In the design I saw - the cpu ( PIII 1.0 ghz)had a large heatsink.
<BR>From the top of the heatsink to the side of the PSU ran a quality built duct with wire frame. On the side of the PSU was a rubber type panel with an opening to receive the other end of the duct. I heard the machne in person while a game was running and it sounded sweet.
<BR>
<BR>Does anyone know any good links to manufactures of these ducts and componets?????
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Dont' know about your "quality built duct with wire frame", not having seen in but flexible vinyl ducting works well, as does duct tape over wire mesh. Flexible vinyl ducting is used for things like shower fan exhaust -- vinyl bonded to coil of wire that accordians, comes in different diameters -- 3, 4, 5"...
[addsig]

dvisic

Post by dvisic » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

From the CPU to the PSU? I assume that this only works in configurations where the CPU fan is blowing out from the heatsink, or there is no fan at all--if the fan is blowing towards the heatsink (which I've found works much better for cooling at lower fan speeds with my setup--an enermax adjustable at low speed on an alpha PAL8045T), and is ducted to the PSU, wouldn't that create a useless negative pressure zone inside the duct and be harmful to everything involved? I would think ducting outside air directly to the cpu fan would be more beneficial in this case.
[addsig]

jg1234

Post by jg1234 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

The setup of the machine as delivered ( from Captech )
<br>
<br>is a Socket 370 PIII 1.1 ghz with a relatively large heatsink ducted to the PSU with a vinyl tube - there is only one fan I can see - the one located in the rear of the PSU. (unless there is a small fan I can't see at the top of the duct connected to the PSU. It looks like they attached a rubber piece to cover up the grill on the side with just an intake for the duct )
<br>
<br>The PSU is the 230W from Q technology which I think is discontinued. There is a 250W however.
<br>
<br>Hope this helps.
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

jg1234 --
<br>
<br>So what did you do? I am curious!
[addsig]