thermal compound

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

L4177312

thermal compound

Post by L4177312 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:09 am

is there any trick to getting the most out of this stuff?

i just wiped off the stock compound that came with the slk800 and replaced it with ceramique from arctic silver. after about 48 hours, temps actually rose by about 4C on both idle and load temps. their website says the stuff takes only 12 hours to set in.

i double checked the heatsink to make sure its on properly and followed the instructions from acrtic silver. is it just me, or is this just how the stuff is?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:32 am

Definitely not supposed to act like that. ANy chance the ambient temp in your room is 4 degs higher?

DeadBySundown
Friend of SPCR

Post by DeadBySundown » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:06 pm

Using it on my rig...basically, just follow the AS instructions - clean thoroughly with acetone or whatever, rub into the HS then clean with a lint-free cloth, tiny amount on the CPU, then spread as thinly as possible.

Might be possible you trapped a hair or some other contaminant, doesn't take much to make a difference.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:18 pm

Clean the HS with Acentone or Isopronal found in nail vanish remover.

I use clear selotape and form a perfect square/rectangle in the middle of the HS where it's going to contact with the CPU. Make it bigger if you unsure how the CPU is going to make contact.

I then spread the compound onto the HS itself with a credit card or a flat piece of card. The good thing is that you get a very conistent thickness of thermal compound (whatever the thickness of the selotape, 1/2mm etc.). Peel the tape off and you get a professional square/rectangle like you find with thermal pads.

Secure onto HS and your done. :wink:

L4177312

Post by L4177312 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:16 pm

i dont think its any warmer in here.. if anything it should be a bit cooler.. its been raining. :?

but.. thanks for the input.. that tape thing is a good idea.

the AS instructions didnt mention spreading it around the core.. guess ill try that

fractal

Post by fractal » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:13 pm

Acetone (nail pollish remover, the unscented variety) works pretty good, as does 90% isopropl alcohol. Both can be found at drug store.Will take the silicon goo right off. Shouldn't be much though. A little dab will do you.

On one hand, artic silver does improve temperature 1-2C when properly applied. However, due to difficulty in applying, many people actually see a decrease in cooling performance using AS. I have never been so borderline on my temperatures that 1-2C ever justified the cost and difficulty in application.