It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How quiet is stock P4 cooler for 2.6C?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:28 am 

here are the noise related specs for a pc I'm building:

- P4 2.6C 800MHz chip
- SilenX 300W PSU
- 90mm rpm-sensing Panaflo for iStyle case
- AX4C Max mobo with SilenTek
- 80G Seagate SATA HDD

question: will the stock HSF for the CPU be noticeably louder than the rest of the components? is the noise difference worth the extra dollars for an SLK-900u/Panaflo combo?

a HUGE "thank you" to all of the contributors to this forum. i have read (and re-read) countless posts and articles and can hardly wait to put my new pc together, based on so much great information I received on the SPCR site. the SPCR community is among the best on the 'net, and i look forward to sharing pics and info about my new pc with you all soon.

phaedrus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:58 pm 
Friend of SPCR

My X Intel HSF @5v was the loudest thing in my comp. It had a rough sound and whinned a little compared to the Panaflo. I now have SLK900U and is quieter and cooler with a Panaflo.

Don't get me wrong it is quiet at 5v but looking at your setup I would personally go for a more powerful cooler than the Intel HSF anyway (p4 2.6 is a good heat generator). You have a nice selection of quiet components and the Intel HSF may annoy you a little.

Even if you don't get it now, I am sure you will get it sooner or later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:30 am 

The stock cooler is not silent. It has a whiny small fan.
I have one somewhere around here, but it's hard to tell how loud it is since I don't have any of the other components to compare with... (I have a "boxed" P4C 2.6, but I watercool so I never used the "box".)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:41 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.

I had read in an article by MikeC that the P4 stock HSF combo that he tested compared to third party HSF combos fared reasonably well for being a stock cooler. However, it wasn't the newer P4C and I think I remember the CPU speed being around 1.8GHz, which may have been why the stock cooler performed as well as it did.

Another friend of mine who put a P4 2.4C into his new box said that the one mistake he made was with the HSF combo, confirming what both of you have said about the stock cooler: loud and whiny. Based on your experiences, I decided to shell out the extra cash for the SLK-800U and a Panaflo 80mm M1BX combo instead. Since I am waiting on the video card to arrive before I can assemble this thing, it seemed a lot smarter to just build the box with the SLK and Panaflo the first time around instead of taking the risk with the stock Intel HSF.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:06 pm 

Well, with the P4 plastic-y cradly thing it's a quick thing to change HSF... unless you do as I do and use a waterblock that has to be bolted through the board. :mrgreen:
But it's of course least work to do the right thing from the start anyway.