Fan positioning and Noise

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Minotaar
Friend of SPCR

Fan positioning and Noise

Post by Minotaar » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:05 am

I've been thinking of cutting a blowhole or two on the top of my box and mounting 1 or two slow/quiet 120s on the top, and ditching all other fans in the system except the cpu/psu fans.

The problem is, the top is closest to me, so this is the loudest place to put them. Even if the rear fans are loudish 80mm fans, could this be a bad move, and increase noise?

mounting the fans on the door would fight the CPU fans for air :(

PS - what is the quietest 120? does panaflo make L1A 120s?

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:38 am

Quick answers:

1. blowholes are right next to your ear and make a massive increase in noise. It's much harder to quiet a blowhole than a rear exhaust. Plus you're providing a direct line for all of the other internal noise to escape. If you can get the cooling elswhere it's easier to quiet. My case came with a blowhole and I had to close it off for noise reasons.

2. Panflo does make a L1A at 120mm. There is some discussion as to which is the quietest 120. You may want to check out the fans forum to see the discussions. It seems that the Papbst have a ticking that the Panaflo's don't at low voltages. I haven't used any 120's personally, but I've had great success quieting my computer with 92mm and 80 mm panaflos.

You may want to see what undervolting your current fans does for the temps or replacing them with panaflo and then undervolting.