It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CPU and NB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:43 pm 

Instead of immediately thermally adhering the zalman nb heatsink to my 850e nb, i used the same nb heatsink found on the dfi lanparty mobo i865. it uses the same stupid wire clip retention that my gigabyte 8ihxp mobo uses, but its center doesn't directly coincide with the center of my northbridge. in fact, the hb heatsink sorta touches the alpha heatsink that sits atop my 2.53 GHz P4.

now before i did this "mod," my P4 temps used to max out around 52degC on full load and idle around 42-46C. it could be that its summer time, but my thermostat reads around 75degFahrenheit. my new cpu load temp hits around 60degC!!! and my case temps are up to 38degC from the previous 34-35degC.

Are these temps okay (i thought i heard somewhere that higher temps have negative effects on p4 performance?), and is it possible that the fact that the nb heatsink touches the cpu heatsink now actually may contribute to the cpu temp rise?

Last question: SINCE THIS IS NOT REVERSIBLE, SHOULD I GO AHEAD AND USE ZALMAN'S THERMAL ADHESIVE (NOT THERMAL GREASE) AND GLUE THE ZALMAN NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK TO MY NB (850e)???

any advice would be great!

IBM Thinkpad T42p | 15inch 1600x1200 LCD | 2.0GHz Pentium M Dothan | 1GB DDR | 128MB ATI FireGL T2 | 60GB Hitachi HD 7,200RPM w/ 8MB Cache | DVD-RW | IBM Wireless 802.11a/b/g | 6.0 lbs + 4.5 Hour Battery Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:17 pm 

60 degrees is a little warm but it won't really hurt anything. I would say to go ahead and remount your northbridge sink but you probably won't notice a difference.

Also check your processor sink there could be some dust in it or something that could be hindering performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:43 pm 

What the P4's do at high temperatures is "thermal throttling", in which the CPU forcibly underclocks itself to lower temperatures. It isn't a problem at 60C, but you may want to google it anyway.

I can't imagine that your heatsink situation would be responsible for the 4C rise in case temps you are seeing; that's probably just a consequence of the weather (or a dusty case). So I'd say that about 4C of the CPU temp rise can be attributed to the increased case temps. The only way I could see the NB heatsink being responsible for the other 4C is if the NB HS gets really hot, heating up the CPU HS and thus preventing it from doing its job. You should be able to easily determine if this is the case by manual inspection (that is, putting your hand on it).

I also once heard that if you mix Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive in a 50:50 mix with Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Compound, the resulting mixture will hold firmly but be substantially more removable. Perhaps an approach like that will work with the Zalman adhesive.

Incidentally, why are you using the Zalman NB HS in the first place? Were you looking for a certain overclock or something? If you're not, and given your warranty concerns, I'd second the Dr.'s advice and say remount your original NB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:52 am 

the original gigabyte northbridge cooling consists of a small heatsink with a very whiny sleeve-bearing fan that is attached to the nb via a wire clip system. i removed this and decided to replace it with passive cooling (zalman nb heatsink). however, this heatsink can only be GLUED to my 850e nb chip, so i used another aluminum heatsink that would fit atop my nb with the wire clip system for two reasons:

1) I could always remove the heatsink in case the mod doesn't work
2) I could use the more "preferable" (?) method of applying Arctic Silver 3 between the heatsink and chip instead of thermal adhesive.

i would use the zalman if i could be certain that the heatsink would be able to correctly cool my 850E nb chip if used with thermal adhesive (i don't want to burn out my mobo). anyone who has done this, pls. help!!! :D

IBM Thinkpad T42p | 15inch 1600x1200 LCD | 2.0GHz Pentium M Dothan | 1GB DDR | 128MB ATI FireGL T2 | 60GB Hitachi HD 7,200RPM w/ 8MB Cache | DVD-RW | IBM Wireless 802.11a/b/g | 6.0 lbs + 4.5 Hour Battery Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:35 am 

The Zalman will work good if it is glued to your NB that is what is designed for after all. It should catch some air off of your cpu cooler also so you should be in good shape.

You can break the heatsink glue if you want to anyway, just put your mobo in the freezer beside the ice cream and let it get nice and cold then pull it off.