Which CPU cooler for this rig?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

capecodbackup

Which CPU cooler for this rig?

Post by capecodbackup » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:59 pm

I had a Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU cooler on order but they wold not ship to a PO Box. So, although I may still very well get that same one, I am open to suggestions. Here is my build.

viewtopic.php?t=57894

It needs to weigh closer to a pound than a kilo. Reasonably easy to install. Cool better than the stock Intel. And, oh yeah... SILENT. real silent :)

My biggest hesitation about the above cooler was that I am sure I will never need 2 fans. Was going to sell one :)

Thanks, Dave

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Get a Thermalright KR-01 Plus:

Use the Thermalright Duct designed to hook on to a 120mm fan on one end and the HR-01 on the other.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=24729

There are two sizes, buy both to see which one fist (the red one is the shorter of the two):

Red Duct:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=22482

Blue Duct:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=4278

You will need an 1156 socket kit bolt through kit:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=26903

Reverse your rear case fan to blow into the heat sink. Your case's internal air temp is likely to be 35 to 40C. Your external temp perhaps 20 to 25C.

That is an extra 15C advantage, before you even reach the fins of the heatsink.

I would get a Nanoxia PWM controller that will permit you to run the Noctua like a variable speed PWM fan. The controller sits between the PWM fan header on the motherboard and the Noctua fan, permitting Noctua's speed be controlled as if it were a PWM fan.

BOTTOM LINE:

You get rid of one fan. You end up with a tower cooler that is almost as good as a Thermalright Ultra or Venomous X, but with the unfair advantage of using air that is 10 to 15C cooler. Think about that.

The HR-01 is a low impedance heat sink. It will present little noise-generating back pressure. The Noctua will probably never have to go above 500rpm. In fact the HR-01 was designed originally as a passive heat sink. It works well with just a wiff of air to keep the air moving lightly past its fins.

Bottom line:

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Very interesting idea. Would the PSU fan therefore be able to rid the case of the hot air? Without speeding up too much?

It also might be interesting with the duct but with the case fan still going out.

I know what you mean about the cooler intake air, but I like the idea of it getting out the hotter case air at the same time.

Getting time to do something as the Intel cooler speeds up and slows down just a little and I am hearing too much NOISE :)

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:54 pm

capecodbackup

I am not certain I understand your response. But to the extent I do, here is my response.

1. Dump the Intel cooler. Just Dump it.

2. This reverse flow is used by the Lian Li A05NB case.

3. If you have a positive pressure case, the PSU doesn't need to push very hard. It has positive pressure behind it pushing the air out.

4. If you push cold air in... the hot air will in turn push its way out. It has to. It has no other options. Every cubic inch of air you introduce to the case requires another cubic inch of inside warm air to leave.

It's more important to control where the cold incoming air lands, than to control where the warmed up air exits.
Last edited by ces on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 pm

It was always my intention to dump the Intel. After agonizing, I had the Noctua 9B Se2 on order. 20 days later (so much for patience) it had not come so I canceled the order and was back at square one.

Although I had thought of a HUGE cooler (assuming it would fit in the case) and trying it passive with the Noctua case fan, I had not until you expressed it, considered your excellent idea.

Dave