New High-Performance Thermal Paste In Development

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cat Feet

New High-Performance Thermal Paste In Development

Post by Cat Feet » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:41 am

"A materials engineer at the University at Buffalo has invented a new thermal paste that will help solve the problem of overheating in high-performance personal computers and other electronics."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 092651.htm

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:14 pm

well i think at overclockers they worked out the goop is about as good as its gonna get. was ages ago tho

Talz

Post by Talz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:42 pm

I remember that article. Theory looked ok, but really it struck me as more of a reason for why their thermal interface material roundup was so poorly done than anything else.

They tested each compound for 8 hours, when several specify several days of use is needed for the compounds to cure etc. And considering the differences that time has been shown to give in other tests, that's just bad reviewing.

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:12 pm

Talz wrote:I remember that article. Theory looked ok, but really it struck me as more of a reason for why their thermal interface material roundup was so poorly done than anything else.
I remember reading something similar about how if you get the TIM in a thin enough layer, the thermal conductivity matters less and less, to the point where it's not worth trying to improve the material. Similarly, I have heard that for some things you can simply use an extremely thin layer of super glue and it should sufficiently conduct the heat.