Xigmatek Loki SD963 (K8), compatible with 939 mobo?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sooty

Xigmatek Loki SD963 (K8), compatible with 939 mobo?

Post by Sooty » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:00 am

Want to be sure this cooler will fit my 939 mobo. Asked Xigmatek, but received an inconclusive reply.

Cooler: Xigmatek Loki SD963 (CAC-S9HH3-U06)
Features page states: Support for Intel LGA775/1156/1366; AMD Socket K8/AM2/AM2+/AM3.

Mobo: ASUS A8V Deluxe
This is a 939 board. From what I can discover, 939 comes under the umbrella of ‘K8’. So does this mean they’re compatible?

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Re: Xigmatek Loki SD963 (K8), compatible with 939 mobo?

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:01 am

Sooty wrote:Want to be sure this cooler will fit my 939 mobo. Asked Xigmatek, but received an inconclusive reply.
Xigmatek does not want to tell you that something is going to work when they can't be 100% sure.
Sooty wrote:Cooler: Xigmatek Loki SD963 (CAC-S9HH3-U06)
Features page states: Support for Intel LGA775/1156/1366; AMD Socket K8/AM2/AM2+/AM3.
Yes, you can see the K8 directions in the Loki SD963 users manual. You will need to remove the plastic frame from around your CPU socket, as the Loki is a blot-through design.
Sooty wrote:Mobo: ASUS A8V Deluxe
This is a 939 board. From what I can discover, 939 comes under the umbrella of ‘K8’. So does this mean they’re compatible?
They will be, as long as they motherboard does not have components in the way (heatsinks, capacitors, resistors, etc). You need to remove the plastic frame, this can be a problem if it is glued on. With most boards, the Loki fits without issue. It is not a huge heatsink.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info, Jim :)

One other question: is it possible to adjust the coolers fan speed using that mobo's BIOS? It's a 2800rpm fan, believed to be PWM with a start up voltage of 7v, and I want it at 1200rpm.

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Sooty wrote:Thanks for the info, Jim :)
You are welcome.
Sooty wrote:One other question: is it possible to adjust the coolers fan speed using that mobo's BIOS? It's a 2800rpm fan, believed to be PWM with a start up voltage of 7v, and I want it at 1200rpm.
Do you know the model name of your motherboard?

BIOS control of fans depends on the motherboard; some have the feature and some do not. No motherboards have the ability to set a voltage, some let you set an RPM and some let you set a percentage.

All PWM fans have a power connector with four holes for pins. If your fan only has three holes for pins, it is only going to work with voltage control.

In my experience, most motherboards give all fans full power for a second or two on boot. This means they all start spinning fast before the motherboard slows them, that way you don't have to worry about setting them too slow (so slow that they will not start).

Also, if your motherboard BIOS does not let you set fan speed to your liking, you can use SpeedFan.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks again Jim. Very helpful.
Dr. Jim Pomatter wrote:
Do you know the model name of your motherboard?
An ASUS A8V Deluxe
Dr. Jim Pomatter wrote: All PWM fans have a power connector with four holes for pins. If your fan only has three holes for pins, it is only going to work with voltage control.
4 Pin with PWM, apparently.

Dr. Jim Pomatter wrote: Also, if your motherboard BIOS does not let you set fan speed to your liking, you can use SpeedFan.
Thanks. That looks promising.

Can a PWM fan be controlled by voltage, rather than PWM?

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Sooty wrote:An ASUS A8V Deluxe
I can't find a manual for this board online. You could get a fan speed controller. I use two of the the Zalman Fanmate units in my computer.
Sooty wrote:Can a PWM fan be controlled by voltage, rather than PWM?
Yes, so you can use the normal voltage-reducing fan speed control methods.