All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Scythe Mugen 2 vs. Noctua NH-12P SE2, when using SpeedFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 am 

Hi

I'm getting a new pc that needs to be very quiet and includes the following:
Case: Antec P183
CPU: i7 2600K LGA1155
Motherboard: Intel DH67CL

I'm trying to decide between 2 CPU coolers: Scythe Mugen 2 ($64) with a PWM fan or the Noctua NH-12P SE2 ($72) with 2xDC fans. Since the price difference is small where I'm buying the pc, I'm leaning a bit more towards the Noctua.
I understand that all the 3 fan headers on the motherboard can be controlled by SpeedFan according to this: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1143-page6.html (There is no possibility to control the fans trough the BIOS). The CPU fan header has a 4-pin connector.
I've never used SpeedFan before so the question is if it can automatically control PWM fans only or also DC fans? And in case DC fans can only be controlled manually, is that a significant disadvantage in CPU cooling compared with automatic control?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Scythe Mugen 2 vs. Noctua NH-12P SE2, when using SpeedFa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 pm 

As the owner of a Mugen 2, I can assure you that its stock PWM fan cools sufficiently without being audible if it's not in an enclosed case. At those levels however, little to no airflow can be felt if you put your hand behind the cooler.

I never tried Speedfan with a DC fan, but Scythe does sell the Mugen 2's PWM fan as a case fan. (Model SY1225SL12LM-P)

You can get a cheap PWM splitter on Ebay and run both fans from the motherboard's CPU fan header.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:56 am 

Thanks Fire-Flare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:39 am 

Regarding manually/automatically: if a fan can be controlled with Speedfan then it can be controlled either way. The automatic part of the control is simply about telling Speedfan to change speeds based on some temperatures instead of you clicking on buttons. It has nothing to do with whether a fan is PWM or not.
Whether a fan can be controlled with Speedfan depends on the specific motherboard and version of Speedfan (there are some improvements in the beta version, some new motherboards are supported...).