zalman 7000A is here

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
johnoh
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: texas

zalman 7000A is here

Post by johnoh » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:50 pm

I wonder how this compares to a slk900 w/ L1A

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product ... 00a-cu.htm

Melluk
Friend of SPCR
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Melluk » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:57 pm

Where have you been lately :)
Check this out: Mike's review

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:28 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

Post by aphonos » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:29 pm

Melluk wrote:Where have you been lately :)
Check this out: Mike's review
The 7000A is a different model than the 7000 no-"A". But according to the Zalman website the only difference is the mounting options, so for quietness sake, Mike's review is still pertinent.
Zalman website Q&A wrote:Thanks for interest in Zalman's product.

The difference is the compatibility with types of sockets.
CNPS 7000A can be installed in Sockets Intel 478, Intel 462 and AMD 754,
while CNPS 7000 supports only Intel 478. For more detail, please refer to
our Products section in our website.
Thanks.

Yoon Ki Kim/Zalman

NB wrote:
> what's exactly the difference between the Cnps7000-Alcu and the Cnps7000A-Alcu ???
> Thanks

1398342003
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 10:35 pm
Location: Surrey, B,C

Post by 1398342003 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:36 pm

- Parts for AMD Athlon/Duron/Athlon XP (Socket 462)
7 Clip Support for Socket 462 - Type A (Blue)
8 Clip Support for Socket 462 - Type B (White)
9 Four (4) Bolts - For fastening the clip support
10 One (1) Sheet of Washers
Why are there two clip supports? (one white, one blue)

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:28 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

Post by aphonos » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:51 pm

1398342003 wrote:Why are there two clip supports? (one white, one blue)
From the pics on the Zalman site it looks like one front and one back (or left/right depending on your perspective).

Boomerang Rapido
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:03 am
Location: Denmark

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:12 am

It seems to me that since I bought the Alpha heatsink, all these new cooler HS/fan combos seem rather uninterresting to me. With the heatsink I have, I can already cool my CPU to very acceptable temps with a next to inaudible fan. I honestly haven't been excited about any new HS since. The next step for me in order to quiet down my CPU cooler is passive cooling. So anything that won't give me that anyway just doesn't get my attention, since anything that has a fan can't be any more quiet than what I already have. At least not su much that i'll be able to hear the difference.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about the zalman or any other HS for that matter. And if I was jsut getting into the quiet game now, it's good that there are more and more options to choose from.

But from my point of view I do get that "Well it has a fan, so it can't be any better than what I already have" feeling.

Is it just me or do anybody else feel the same way?

1398342003
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 10:35 pm
Location: Surrey, B,C

Post by 1398342003 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:27 am

aphonos wrote:From the pics on the Zalman site it looks like one front and one back (or left/right depending on your perspective).
Now I see it. Thanks. :) (I didn't see the back.)

Boomerang- I'm starting to feel the same way. I can't stand the least sound from my computer, more so when I'm trying to sleep. But untill I have the $$ to buy some copper ($100US) and the tools to work on the copper ($100Cad) I will have to put up with the noise, :( although it is quite low.

What fan do you use on the Alpha and what are you cooling?

Boomerang Rapido
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:03 am
Location: Denmark

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:41 am

I'm cooling a 2.4GHz P4, with a 19db Pabst fan. I'm not THAT fanatic about the sound levels, and it's not a problem at night cause I don't leave my PC running.

The 19db fan was probably overkill anyway. I could have gotten away with less airflow than what that provides and still be in the clear by a good margin. I've been running it at 7 volts too, just to see what kinda difference it makes.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:20 am

Boomerang Rapido wrote:It seems to me that since I bought the Alpha heatsink, all these new cooler HS/fan combos seem rather uninterresting to me. With the heatsink I have, I can already cool my CPU to very acceptable temps with a next to inaudible fan. I honestly haven't been excited about any new HS since. The next step for me in order to quiet down my CPU cooler is passive cooling. So anything that won't give me that anyway just doesn't get my attention, since anything that has a fan can't be any more quiet than what I already have. At least not su much that i'll be able to hear the difference.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about the zalman or any other HS for that matter. And if I was jsut getting into the quiet game now, it's good that there are more and more options to choose from.

But from my point of view I do get that "Well it has a fan, so it can't be any better than what I already have" feeling.

Is it just me or do anybody else feel the same way?
I feel exactly the same way but for me it happened when I got my first Thermalright SLK800.

How much more can you ask if you can cool your CPU with a undervolted, inaudible Panaflo L1A. You can't get any quieter than "inaudible" and it doesn't help your CPUs life expectancy to run it at 30° instead of 40°C.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:59 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Post by POLIST8 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:30 am

CPU life expectancy is only true when it comes to Intel marketing another "better" chip.

Seriously, who is expecting to run a CPU for 5 years?

By that time I've already sold it on eBay or combed my hair with it.

cliche
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:30 pm
Location: uk

Post by cliche » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:45 am

POLIST8 wrote:CPU life expectancy is only true when it comes to Intel marketing another "better" chip.

Seriously, who is expecting to run a CPU for 5 years?

By that time I've already sold it on eBay or combed my hair with it.
lol- by that time I will be bald :lol:

Post Reply