cpu kernel temp

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Necroz

cpu kernel temp

Post by Necroz » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:54 am

I have an Aopen AX4C max motherboard with a P4 3.0. The BIOS shows three temperatures:

CPU Kernel Temp 70C
CPU Temp 32C
Sys Temp 33C

Does anyone know what Kernel temp is? It's so high I’m a little concerned about it. It doesn't seem to change much no matter what I do. I'm currently using a Zalman 7000 AlCu HSF.

Thanks

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:20 am

70°C is the temp that the P4 processor starts to be throttled back so it doesn't self destruct. If that temp is correct you have a serious cooling problem there.

I'd look closely at your mounting of that Zalman heatsink. I'd pull it off and start all over again. You did use thermal compuond, right? Follow the directions on Zalmans' website and also take a look at the review of the 7000 here at SPCR as well. You need to make sure the heatsink is making very good contact with the IHS on the CPU.

Necroz

Post by Necroz » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:07 pm

At this point I’m starting to think it’s a bug with Aopen motherboards. Using the Zalman or the Intel HSF I get the same readings. It also reads that when I first turn it on after being off for hours. I’ll let the computer crunch numbers folding for a few hours, the cpu temp will go up the kernel temp stays within 1 or 2 degrees. Other users at the Aopen tech forum seem to be getting this same high reading.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: cpu kernel temp

Post by MikeC » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:39 pm

Necroz wrote:I have an Aopen AX4C max motherboard with a P4 3.0. The BIOS shows three temperatures:

CPU Kernel Temp 70C
CPU Temp 32C
Sys Temp 33C

Does anyone know what Kernel temp is? It's so high I’m a little concerned about it. It doesn't seem to change much no matter what I do.
I have the same "CPU Kernel Temp" readout from the AOpen AX4GE MAx using the Hardware Monitor III / SilentTek utility. No idea what it is really reading. The CPU temp is currently 44C on my system. I don't think the 70C is any cause for worry. It's been showing that since the very first time I ran this utility back last year when I first tested SilentTek.

RobA

Re: cpu kernel temp

Post by RobA » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:37 pm

I have had exactly the same problem with my Aopen AX4PE Tube-G and Pentium 4 2.4B.

Aopen's SilentTek consistently shows CPU Kernel Temp 69-70C
(Currently CPU Temp is 32C and System Temp 31C).

The very high kernel temp also caused me to buy the Zalman 7000 AlCu HSF, but the 'CPU Kernel Temp' remained unchanged. The CPU Temp did drop a degree or two.

However I am still concerned, as the only reference to CPU Kernel Temp on the Aopen forum says this is the internal cpu die temperature and that this equates to the Max Junction Temp (now labelled Thermal Spec) on the Intel specfinder web site. For my chip it is 71C, hence the concern.

I only really took notice of all this when I installed Sisoft Sandra Standard and it gave me a warning, 'W2518 Main board temperature is too high (ie over 50C)'. It shows 'Power / Aux Temperature' as 70C.

I then installed Motherboard Monitor 5.3 to investigate further and found that it gave the same figures, and (by matching results) I was able to determine that the temperature labelled CPU Temp by SilentTek is from sensor WinBond 2 and 'CPU Kernel Temp' is from WinBond 3.

Furthermore the slider in SilentTek shows the CPU Kernel Temp of 69-70C as approaching the danger area (red). This fits with a design spec max of 71C.

Shouldn't we be taking this seriously, or is nothing significant being measured here?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:43 pm

Well, all of our systems are all running fine despite this kernel temp, so I'd say it is either a target max that is shown or some obscure thing AOpen still hasn't explained to anyone the significance of.

Necroz

Post by Necroz » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:32 am

My Aopen board killed over. Aside from being very displeased and swearing to never buy another Aopen product again I now have a very cool quiet system using the Asus p4p800. I installed my p4 3.0c with the Zalman AlCu 7000 and used some artic silver 3 grease. The CPU temp is 30c. Even when folding it has yet to break 40c. The motherboard temp stay within 2 degress of the CPU.