SLK-800A installation

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

blahblahbloo

SLK-800A installation

Post by blahblahbloo » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:33 pm

Thermalright has some installation instructions here:

http://www.thermalright.com/installation_slk800.html

They say something about attaching some rubber pads to the bottom of the heatsink. My SLK-800A package didn't come with any rubber pads. Am I supposed to rip them off the processor?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:34 pm

I have never used the white pads on dozens of installs. No problems. As long as the HS is squarely on the core when you engage the clip, there's little risk. It's only if you tilt the HS when you are pressing down to engage the clip that there is danger of chipping the core.

blahblahbloo

Post by blahblahbloo » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:15 pm

Radeonman wrote:Yes it did. They are white foamy things - they do indeed look like the ones on the processor (except the aforementioned color). They are not required, but are just there to liken the chance you'll muck up your core.
Ohhh! I see. The white foam square has circular cutouts. Those were pretty hard to see.

UrbanVoyeur

Post by UrbanVoyeur » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:25 pm

On Intel chips I've been using a shim instead of the foam pads.

I have a dual system P3, and out of curiosity, I put a fiber shim under one and a lapped copper shim on the other.

Why lapp the shim? No particular reason - I was lapping the heatsinks and it was there. :-)

The isntallations are otherwise the same. There's no thermal grease on the copper shim.

What suprised me is that the chip with the copper shim is runnig 2-3 C cooler than the one with the fibe shim.

AND the chip with the copper shim is the one closer to the PSU.

Hmmmm.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:34 pm

ThermalRight's Installation FAQ wrote: Q2:Do I use a shim with Thermalright heat sinks?
A: For experienced users, a shim is not needed in installing socket A heat sinks. Besides, a shim does accumulate heat around CPU die. Our experience shows a shim may have higher temperature than without a shim for about 2~3°C in normal operation.

Please note: if you must use a shim, be sure to purchase one that is non-conductive

UrbanVoyeur

Post by UrbanVoyeur » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:52 pm

I'm using it with a socket 370 (intel P3), which unlike the AMD chips, has no exposed contact on the surface, so the copper shim is not a problem.

I was just surprised it runs cooler - so many people have said the copper shims trap heat.