Removal of TT Crystal Orb to install NB32J

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rook
Friend of SPCR

Removal of TT Crystal Orb to install NB32J

Post by Rook » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:46 pm

Good Evening,

I'm in the process of trying to install a Zalman NB32J on my northbridge. I've abandoned, for the moment, the idea of putting the NB32J on my video card (see this thread: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=6040 for info.

I'm trying to remove a Thermaltake Crystal Orb from the northbridge. The Crystal Orb is presently one of the loudest sound-makers in my system, so removing it would definitely cut down on the system's noise.

Here's the problem: When the Crystal Orb was installed, it was installed with two mounting options - plastic clips that poke through the mounting holes on the motherboard, and double-sided thermal mounting tape.

I can remove the plastic clips easily enough when I remove the motherboard, but how do I remove the Crystal Orb without damaging anything? With the double-sided tape, it's essentially glued to the northbridge.

If anybody has any ideas about how to remove the Crystal Orb safely, I'd appreciate hearing them. :D

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:53 pm

twist, gently. Sorta rock it back and forth until it starts to let go. Some people say to slide something plastic (like a credit card) under it and pry it loose. But I think the twist is gentler. Just be patient, but realise that it would take an incredible amount of torque, more than you could do with 2 fingers, to break the 50 or more solder joints holding that thing to the mobo.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:14 am

Rusty075 wrote:... Some people say to slide something plastic (like a credit card) under it and pry it loose..
Just to clarify:

The credit card is used only to protect the PCB.

Place a credit card on the PCP,

Take a flat-headed screwdrive and place flat between the credit card and the heatsink edge.

Twist the screwdriver until the heatsink pops off.

This only works if the heatsing slightly overhangs the chip. If not, well like Rusty075 says - start twisting :D

Rook
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rook » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:20 am

Rusty075 wrote:twist, gently. Sorta rock it back and forth until it starts to let go. Some people say to slide something plastic (like a credit card) under it and pry it loose. But I think the twist is gentler. Just be patient, but realise that it would take an incredible amount of torque, more than you could do with 2 fingers, to break the 50 or more solder joints holding that thing to the mobo.
I tried doing the twisting method, and the bloody thing just would NOT come off. It slid back and forth a small amount, but would not come loose. I think I may have used a bit too much force in twisting the heatsink off. :shock:

I've reassembled my system, but now it's extremely unstable. After a minute or two, the system just freezes. Windows will boot, and I can work with the system briefly, but it freezes every time.

Time to buy a new motherboard... :|

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:31 am

try cutting it off with a razor. (i mean the system's already unstable it can't hurt too much)

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:35 am

It shouldn't be that hard...I've never had a problem with NB or GPU coolers coming off...

A nice little twist as you pull gently should always make it come off.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:56 am

One thing I always do that makes things go much easier, is get the HSF/chip nice and hot. Benchmark the machine for a few minutes and really get it toasty. Its of course harder though with a NB than say a VGA card.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:33 pm

sounds like uve naffed up the joint, just keep moving it around, itll go eventully :)

Rook
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rook » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:44 am

I think I like the new motherboard idea better - it gives me a good excuse to upgrade. :D

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:51 am

I wouldn't upgrade now...unless you're running something like a 1Ghz...

Rook
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rook » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:29 am

I was running Athlon 1200 on an Asus A7V133 with 256MB RAM. :?

Upgrading to an Athlon 1200 on an Asus A7N8X with 512MB RAM. I'll upgrade the processor shortly. :wink:

I tried re-seating the northbridge a bit, but the freezing problem remained. I need to learn to be more gentle with my equipment. :roll:

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:38 am

Wow...an athon on that motherboard? :)

Heck, a 2500+ would be a great purchase.

Rook
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rook » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:36 am

The Athlon 1200 should work just fine on that board, but you're quite right. A processor upgrade will be in order shortly. :D